Help Please!!!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:12 am

You don't need to wrap her in blankets. Unless she's a skinny, guinea pigs are just balls of fat and fur, and there's a danger of overheating her. So if your house is warm enough for you, and if she's got a hidey to get in (they trap heat), she'll be just fine.

Just my opinion, but I'd want something other than Baytril in the nebulizer. It obviously hasn't worked so far. My vet uses a combination of steroid and gentamycin.

Svilena55

Post   » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:28 pm

Thank you. My mom is watching her today and said the rasp breathing stopped and no more runny nose.
What if this is just allergies and sinuses? Would Benadryl once in a while small dose help just to clear her out from dust, etc? She has had this rasp breathing on and off for about a year. I dedust the hay and keep a humidifier in the crazy Chicago winter but maybe lately that has increased a bit - might be due to age or the new place I moved to which is an older building. Is Benadryl safe to give once in a while to see if maybe it is allergy based? Children's Benadryl.

Svilena55

Post   » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:16 am

I might run out of the saline solution that the vet gave me (still have the baytril). Can I use regular saline contacts solution to mix in with the baytril? Thanks.

Svilena55

Post   » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:20 pm

What kind of solution (one drop) can I put in each of the pigs nostrils to clear them? Will contact solution do? or does it have to be starile saline solution?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:58 pm

Nebulizing fluids are special fluids (I believe). I don't think I would use contact lens solution as a nebulizing solution.

I don't know the answer to your second question.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:30 pm

No, don't use contact lens solution. You can buy sterile saline at any drugstore, I believe, and it's not expensive.

Svilena55

Post   » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:45 am

Sometimes my pigs poop is a little mucousy. Does that mean that her stomach lining is irritated? I give her probiotics daily, vitamin C as well as a couple of drops of olive oil to comebat gas. Please advise what the mucus might mean. Thank you.

Svilena55

Post   » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:57 pm

Another question if you guys don't mind - my pigs front paws heals a little red.

I do daily Epson soaks just in case and put coconut oil on them and sometimes soak the feet in diluted water with iodine just to make sure nothing bacterial gets through her skin. I believe it is because she doesn't walk around much. She is lazy. She is a free roaming pig and has soft surfaces (blankets and towels), so I am assuming the surface is not an issue. Just wanted to know how do you know if the condition is pre-bumble? Can I send a pic for an opinion by any chance? THank you for the help as usual. Lena

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:32 pm

Some pigs have red feet. But in the absence of visible infection, I wouldn't soak daily with Epsom salts. They're incredibly drying, and I'm not sure what the long-term effects of daily exposure to it would be. Just wipe them with a damp cloth, if necessary, and put the cold pressed virgin coconut oil on them.

Svilena55

Post   » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:51 pm

thank you

Svilena55

Post   » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:55 am

Please help!!! New issue. It is sunday and no vet available. Z might have uti. Squeeling when peeing and foul urine and maybe a little blood in urine. I have left over baytril and metronidazole. Should I give her a doze today with some diluted cranberry juice until I can get her in tomorrow?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:17 pm

Cranberry juice won't help. And it may be a stone, not a UTI. If she can be seen tomorrow, I'd wait,