Help Please!!!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:29 pm

The top two pictures, there is something easy to see, a large sphere (circle). It is hard to miss. I do not know if it is a mass.

Svilena55

Post   » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:30 pm

Thank you. Do you and still kind of smells. In your experience, what does smelly urine indicate? The fat assured me that there is no infection after analyzing the urine and looking at x-rays, then I’m wondering what would be the cause of a more funky urine smell if it is not an infection? Thank you.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:43 am

The cause of a strong urine smell can be incontinence (leakage of urine) that keeps the butt hairs wet. If your guinea pig does not move around much, they would be more likely to be wet. Look at www.guinealynx.info/urine_scald.html Trim all the butt hairs closely, make sure the bedding is changed frequently, and keep her as clean as possible.

Svilena55

Post   » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:54 pm

Thank you. She is a free roaming pig and has towels and fleece as "bedding". She has one room to herself but she does not walk around much, became kind of lazy during the last year. I will get also baby wipes to clean her. I wash her butt regularly and dry her completely. She doesn't seem wet, I smell her pee as soon as she pees on the towel and that pee is the source of the strong smell. But, I noticed that smell only about 5 days ago and then the bleeding occurred two days ago. Will monitor her closely.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:19 pm

So if you smell her in between pees, she smells fine? If the urine smells strongly, that sure says there is a bacterial infection to me.

I think I have mentioned having her take trimethoprim sulfamethoxizole (Bactrim in this country). It is very common. I would try to get a prescription for it.

Svilena55

Post   » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:12 am

Update on my Peggy, I took another blood sample to the vet and again he claims it’s definitely not an infection, I also asked him about the mass in the abdomen and he said that he doesn’t see anything there that is concerning. He has been her vet for four years and help and get her through the pneumonia, but I sent the x-rays to another vet I seen once and she said she does see a mass. Z doesn’t seem to be in pain so I will not be giving her the pain meds unless I see her squealing or visibly uncomfortable.At this point I have decided to wait out and see what happens. I don’t want to put it with the surgery. He continues to smell here and there, and my question is if it was a productive issue, with the urine smell? I guess I still keep thinking that maybe it is a UTI but the vet it’s telling me that science tells us it is not. Thank you so much for all of your help. I am not ready to lose my pig. He also doesn’t want to prescribe Bactrim Because he says since it is not a UTI it will not help.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:28 am

There must be several exotic vets in Chicago. Why don't you take her for a second opinion somewhere?

Svilena55

Post   » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:43 am

I have taken her to two additional ones in the past and they were not good either. I will see if I can find another one to take her to. I am also thinking of buying over the counter pee strips and test her urine myself as well.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:28 am

The urine strips are not totally reliable for guinea pigs. Herbivore urine is very different than carnivore urine.

Svilena55

Post   » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:45 am

ok, thank you.

Svilena55

Post   » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:18 pm

Another question. Blood seems to have stopped. I have been giving supplements, hydrating, handfeeding, etc. Today after 6 days a pasty white discharge that has some odor came out. I think might be related to female organs. Do you have experience with a white discharge in females? Thanks. Also, the other vet tested the urine for infection and said no infection is present. Thanks.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:42 pm

Could be the mucus plug, which they lose when they come into heat.