New here.. help.. my baby pigs URI won't clear

PandorasPiggies

Post   » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:39 am

Lynx yes they are really being great about it

Just got back from the Vet.. Thor needs to go back on Sunday to see the primary exotic vet as he may require surgery .. But he needs further evaluation from the other vet..

Thor is holding his head to the left.. which is the same side his eye and ear problem are on.. Now that she has mentioned it I can't stop seeing It! He completely tilts his head left. He wasn't doing that a couple of weeks ago when she and the other Dr saw him

He is gaining weight and getting bigger. Otherwise seeming healthy. Eating and going pee and poo ok.

So she suspects that the infection has taken residence in his inner ear.. And it's surrounded by cartilage and the pus can't really escape so solidifies. This may be why his ear seemed to bother him so.

It also could explain why he seems to be a grumpalumpagus... He's probably in some pain.

So the other vet is in on Sunday we will go back. She's also not charging for this visit (even tho petco is paying. They really are being great about it so I'm glad she isn't charging them)

So if he does need surgery we will have to get added clearance from petco. They may be able to get a culture.. but any antibiotics he needs is beyond what they carry in house so I'll have to get it from the pharmacy they use. For now he will stay on his ear drops eye gel and antibiotics. It's at least keeping it from drastically getting worse

I greatly value your advice and input.

He also ate his red peppers! Yay! So he got some vitamin c in. He has more tonight

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:39 am

Yes, ear infections are very painful. Perhaps a new antibiotic is needed if it does not clear up. Keep in mind that even if it clears up, he may have a slight permanent head tilt but this should not be a problem.

A pus penetrating oral antibiotic is what is usually given.

PandorasPiggies

Post   » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:41 pm

Ok good. They will have to get that from the pharmacy Monday. Poor buddy.

Thank you so much for your input

PandorasPiggies

Post   » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:45 pm

Thank you all

We saw the other vet yesterday, and he confirmed the inner ear issue and explained it. Thor now has ear drops that have an anti inflammatory medication in them. He was also prescribed an antibiotic that can treat this kind of infection, but is not guaranteed - but that has to be mixed at the pharmacy. It will be available to pick up today.

He did mention the possibility of the permanent head tilt. He said if antibiotics don't clear it then surgery would be the last resort option and would be around $2,000. I cannot afford $2K.

He is still gaining weight, still peeing and pooping OK. He is still active and plays well during floor time etc. He talks a lot and seems otherwise OK. He is a bit of a grumple - probably due to the ear thing, but otherwise seems OK.

So hoping the antibiotics clear this infection and he is feeling better very soon.

THank you all SO much for your valuable input and advice, I truly appreciate it more than I can say

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:53 pm

What are the antibiotics in the drops? What is the oral antibiotic you were prescribed? Chloramphenicol?

PandorasPiggies

Post   » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:12 pm

Oh, and I don't have the meds yet.. but I apparently must wear latex or similar gloves when administering it as it is harmful for humans...

But it won't harm guinea pigs?

It is chloramphenicol

He does squeak when eating, but it doesn't stop his eating process.. I guess he likes food. Poor little guy, though :( He is on baytril with an anti-inflammatory med mixed in for ear drops

PandorasPiggies

Post   » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:14 pm

Gah. I just got word from the pharmacy, they do not fill this medication anymore.. so my vet will have to order it elsewhere I guess.. they're calling the vet and we'll have to figure out who will fill it

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:13 pm

Chloramphenicol is a good choice. I hope you are able to get it somewhere soon.

PandorasPiggies

Post   » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:35 pm

They're calling it to roadrunner veterinary medicine and it will be shipped to me within 24 hours. And I should receive it within another 24. So he will stay on doxycycline until then.

I've been holding his head still and closing his little ear flap whole massaging behind his ear when I put his drops in .. in hopes that some will reach his inner ear. He hates it and it obviously hurts and I try and be gentle and soft while working it in.

Today when I got home from work I got him out and he doesn't seem to be tilting his head at all. If he is it's only slight. This of course could change based upon the fluids in his inner ear.

I'm wondering though.. is it possible for the ear pus to drain through the eye? When I massage his ears I notice his eye starts to water (he is on eye ointment) and often part of it is white.

Thanks for the help and support. I hope to have his new meds within 2 days. Finally on the road to full health I hope. I just love that little guy 💚

Kimera

Post   » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:16 am

I don't think it is pus. Guinea pig eyes naturally secrete white fluid used for grooming.

PandorasPiggies

Post   » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:36 am

Ah good to know!

Thank you!

I've learned so much from everyone. I greatly value and appreciate it.

His head tilts sometimes and other times doesn't.

Meds will be here soon though and we will get him better. But he popcorn and runs all about during floor time having a great time. So that's good as well. Still gaining weight and eating well. So I'm hopeful these signs mean he can fight through the rest of This! 💚

PandorasPiggies

Post   » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:01 pm

Oh..
Oh my.
Local pharmacy was going to charge about $40 for the chloramphenicol medication, but then realized they no longer fill that medication

the Roadrunner Pharmacy charges $150.75 for it... 0_o

That is kind of a huge difference

AND it is going to take 5-7 days to get here =(

But I thought they go downhill super fast. I just don't even know what to do now.