Wedgwood - let's start with bloat/torsion

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:34 am

Here is the abstract from Tracis first link:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29256283

Review of gastric torsion in eight guinea pigs (Cavia porcellus).
Abstract
The authors present eight cases of gastric dilatation and volvulus (GDV) in guinea pigs from the Department and Clinic of Exotic Animal and Wildlife Medicine, University of Veterinary Medicine, Budapest, Hungary between 2012 and 2016. Seven animals were operated on and two survived. Gastric torsion has been noted in many mammalian species. Gastric volvulus has a high morbidity and high mortality rate with a guarded to poor prognosis in all of these species. How GDV develops is still not widely understood. Postmortem examinations, in both our cases and previously reported cases, have failed to reveal the exact causes of the gastric torsions. The aetiology of gastric torsion in guinea pigs is probably multifactorial. Feeding fewer meals per day, eating rapidly, decreased food particle size, exercise, stress after a meal, competition, age, and an aggressive or fearful temperament, are all likely and potential risk factors for GDV development in a similar fashion to dogs. Sex, breeding, dental diseases, anatomical abnormalities, pain and pregnancy may also be contributing factors.
It would seem the study above, they are trying to logically think of anything that would have contributed to the torsion.

The facebook post has a couple anecdotal guesses that broccoli, not usually given, may have been involved. We have mentioned it as a possible cause for bloat (crucifers in general).

No time to check out the other links at the moment.

Tracy

Post   » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:18 am

Sorry I didn't mention "findings" from those links -- there's a lot to read through.

On a personal note, I adopted a piggy from a shelter that was feeding cauliflower to their piggies; her mother and sister had just died "inexplicably" and I suspect maybe bloat was the cause. I removed the cauliflower each time I visited (I needed 3 visits to decide what/who was best for my solo piggy at home) and finally decided to rescue the survivor piggy before she joined her relatives. I'm sure Pooksied doesn't feed cruciferous veggies to her pigs, but wanted to emphasize they are linked to bloat and should be avoided.

There was an interesting mention (in one of those links) about torsion possible from flipping piggies on their backs... also perhaps twisting during Xrays. It's scary to think their GI system may be that fragile, to twist from body positioning. But most write-ups also agree there's not much info, the cases studied were mostly during necropsies, and we need to learn more overall. Another mysterious condition in piggies right now, unfortunately.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:16 pm

Oh, don't worry about not posting an analysis. Links are good. In my opinion, it is hard to pull out relevant information so it makes sense.

I sometimes post stuff to help me see a larger picture.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:40 am

This is partial torsion. And from what I read, partial torsion presents exactly like what I've seen in Wedgwood - a slow, unexplained decrease in weight, until it gets the eventual classic symptoms. Yes, I read the stuff on full torsion, which is why when the vet first suggested surgery, I was all over that. So imagine my shock when she took it off the table. And my worry of waiting a month for the re-check. Ack! I think about it too much and I freak out.

Dr Holmes doesn't think that the stomach will twist all the way - that it will remain partial. But it's obvious that even cutting all the veggies and everything else hasn't stopped the episodes of bloat entirely. Surgery is scheduled for Tuesday - a week from today. I have a bad track record of my pigs keeling over before surgery, so I'm really vigilant right now. We do not want her to be in an emergency situation for the surgery.

Dr Holmes is hoping the twist is caused by a tumor, or some growth. I suspect that the torsion may have started (or been made worse) when Wedgwood leapt off the couch about 1 year ago. The weight loss started last September.

What I can't find, but really would like to find, is a paper done by Dr. Alexandra Kilgore. I found the title (and now have lost it again).

This is not torsion caused by bloat. This is definitely the other way around, from the symptoms I've seen and how Wedgwood looks.

Tracy

Post   » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:40 am

Yes, not torsion caused by bloat -- the other way around. Sending good vibes!

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:42 am

So - for any of you doing research on my behalf - thank you. The more information, the better. Seriously.

However, I was contacted Dr Holmes this morning after she'd talked to another vet in the area last night. Someone suggested to this other vet that they should do Wedgwood's surgery, not mine. I can't tell you how upsetting this is. I trust Dr. Holmes. If she tells me she can do the surgery, then she's doing the surgery. The fact she's asking if I want someone else to do it? She shouldn't have to ask. And knowing it was my posts online asking for information about torsion and surgery that triggered this? I'm devastated by that. I can't say sorry enough to Dr. Holmes.

Just be aware of that when you ask your experts for advice/information for a third party.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:48 am

Someone suggested to this other vet that they should do Wedgwood's surgery, not mine.
I am confused by this! How did someone else get involved? Is this someone local you discussed this with who went to the other vet?

It sounds like you wanted your own vet to do the surgery.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:18 pm

Sorry about this *extra* stress, Pooksie.

Tracy

Post   » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:12 pm

Pooksied, I quickly asked two exotics vets (in MA) about torsion in GPs... as well as asking one if she had access to that article by Dr. Alex Kilgore from the conference (I found a link for vets only). They are friends of mine. One said "usually an emergency situation," and the other said "yes, GDV is a thing in piggies" (at which point I searched for that acronym and posted some links here).

Conversations were quite brief since I don't like asking for their expertise without paying -- it's their livelihood, after all (and of course they cannot diagnose or recommend anything without seeing the patient). Both are quite busy, so maybe someone misunderstood I was just trying to learn more about stomach surgeries. If somehow that caused the conversations with your vet, I apologize.

I totally understood you're confident in your vet. Again, if somehow I'm the source of this confusion, I apologize... and hope your good relationship with your vet has not been jeopardized. I know you've got things under control and will do what's best for Wedgie, so I'll just send good vibes and read for updates.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:34 pm

Tracy, I do not believe you were the source of the confusion. Yes, it was someone who sees the other vet asked about Wedgwood's condition, and I guess asked if she would do the surgery? I realize their heart was in the right place, but it was awful that my vet thought I didn't want her doing the surgery.

And Wedgwood is bloating again tonight. <sigh> I'm sure she'll get over it like the other times, but the increased frequency is worrisome. Come on, piggy. Pull yourself together for one more week.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:36 am

Sending warm and hopeful thoughts in your direction.

Tracy

Post   » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:22 pm

Hope Wedg did OK with that latest bloat... sending good thoughts. It's so stressful just as an empathic spectator reading along; can't imagine how difficult for you, Pooksied.