EMERGENCY HELP-3-day old pup

mom2eaq

Post   » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:38 pm

Hi - I visited our local useless emergency vet who supposedly sees exotics already and I don’t even think they did an examination. I have yet to find a decent piggy vet within an hour of Milwaukee, WI.

My Oreo had 4 pups and 3 are doing well and hopping around, nursing and eating some hay and veggies. Number 4 is noticeably different—she can move slowly for little bits but isn’t really doing more than that. Haven’t seen her nurse at all even when I put her alone with mom for a while.

I took her to the vet a couple of hours ago, they gave 3cc subcutaneous fluid and said keep syringing critical care with lots of water. I figured it won’t be too difficult so I looked at YouTube for videos of how to do it. Videos show the pup doing eating motions when the syringe is inserted. This one doesn’t. I think some goes in but quite a bit comes out. She does grind her teeth after it. I’m trying to stimulate some waste currently but so far nothing. In the meantime she just sits and kind of shivers, even in her box of fleece floor and covers. She does some little squeaks/screeches from time to time

I should also mention that one of the pups was found on the floor after birth. The birth happened overnight and it must have fallen through the wires of the cage when it was on a table. I don’t know which one it was, but if it was this one it crossed my mind that maybe it’s got some injury from that.

So...I will do anything I need to do to make sure she suffers the least amount possible. Your help is the closest thing I have to emergency vet care so all suggestions/advice welcome please!!! Thank you for your time.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:55 pm

I'm sorry the pup is suffering.

Read over https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html for how to hand feed.

In pigs that are accustomed to eating, getting the food back to the molars stimulates them to chew and swallow the CC. But in a newborn, I don't know whether that is true or not. We'll hope it is.

You need to insert the syringe into the side of the mouth, behind the front teeth and in front of the back teeth. Insert it a little, then turn it toward the throat. Give about 1/4 cc at a time. You can leave the syringe in the mouth between bites -- the pig will be able to chew with it in there.

The bigger question is whether or not the pup can or should be saved. When was it born? It needs food going through the digestive tract sooner rather than later.

The only milk substitute that even approximates guinea pig milk is goat milk. Some pet stores and some vets carry it, and you might try some of that.

But if you're not able to get it to eat by morning, the kindest thing might be to have it euthanized. It sounds like it's got severe problems, whether it was born with them or they resulted from the fall.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

mom2eaq

Post   » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:25 pm

Thank you for your input. I read over that info and just tried to feed a bit more again and it was much more successful. Still no waste yet though. I’ll monitor through the night and go from there.

mom2eaq

Post   » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:32 pm

She’s noticeable wheezing now and clicking teeth while breathing. Signs of respiratory distress right? I hope I didnt cause this :(

rjespicer

Post   » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:33 pm

Make sure you hold her upright when you feed. Dont have her on her back either.

The way we were shown for a sick piggy was supporting the front legs and with the back legs/butt of a solid (but comfy) surface so that they kind of look like they are standing on their back legs. Just make sure you are not putting any pressure on her chest.

We also mix our Critical Care with unflavored pedialyte but ours are some what older so I dont know if there are any issues with doing that for baby piggies.

I hope she shows signs of recovery soon.