Blood draw question

kcpiggos

Post   » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:02 pm

We just got back from the vet for an annual checkup on our three guinea pigs. As part of the checkup, we consented to have their blood drawn under anesthesia to do chem + CBC panels. In the past, this has gone well, but this time, we were told that the vet was unable to get enough blood for two out of three guinea pigs for one of the panels, and that we'd have to bring those two back later and put them under again to get some more blood drawn.

We're unsure what to think, since it sounds somewhat implausible that they would have difficulty with a pig under anesthesia - are there reasons why they would be unable to get enough blood the first time around? The two guinea pigs that need to have the blood draw and anesthesia redone were deemed healthy during the physical examination.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:37 pm

I have never heard of having blood drawn for a routine examination.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:41 pm

I haven't either, and wouldn't agree to have it done. Drawing blood on a guinea pig is a pretty risky thing, and in the absence of some serious undiagnosed illness, is unnecessary. It's also an unnecessary expense for you.

I'd be looking for another vet who wasn't trying to pad his bottom line at my (and my pigs') expense.

kcpiggos

Post   » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:50 pm

Thanks. We were informed that this was the standard of care for annual checkups, but it looks like it might be time to find another vet. Was their excuse for having them come back for a second blood draw even plausible?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:49 pm

No.

Was this an exotic vet?

kcpiggos

Post   » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:18 am

Yes, their practice specializes in exotics.

Edit: I'd also like to add that I do believe they are knowledgeable, but they seem aggressive in treatment and diagnostic options. It appears there have been reviews where people felt like they were presented with expensive treatment options that may or may not have been necessary.

kcpiggos

Post   » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:35 am

Also, this vet is also listed in the Vet List on this site for my state (and they're pretty much the only 24 hour exotics vet in the area), so we may have to use them again in the future, but we'll be more wary of their recommendations from here on out.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:33 am

One of the reasons this site is here, is to help pet owners understand common illnesses and get treatment when needed. Do become familiar with all the signs of illness so you know if there is something that needs checking out. And do set up a routine to weigh your guinea pigs weekly so you notice weight loss if it occurs and can take action if merited.
www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html
www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:44 am

Agree 100% with bpatters -- it sounds like this vet is just looking for ways to jack up your bill. I absolutely would not agree to come back and give the vet another 'stab at it' for no good reason. I also don't like putting any animal under anesthesia (light or otherwise) unnecessarily.

ETA: Lynx, I haven't been out to the vet listing in a while, but is there a way for members to post comments/reviews?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:30 pm

No, I don't think so. If this poster wants to create an educational link (not bashing, just providing information), I could add it to the listing as a "recommendation" (i.e. something like they are well respected/seem to be excellent vets/whatever but they may suggest tests on healthy guinea pigs that would be more appropriate for an ill one, where information to aid in diagnosis and treatment is needed).

I also think in the US that routine fecal tests are a waste of time unless you are diagnosing, for example, a possible intestinal disorder.

kcpiggos

Post   » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:09 am

Lynx, I'd love to do that - how do I go about it? I think it's useful for people to know what they're getting into with that particular vet.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:18 am

Either email me a well-thought out comment (pros and cons) or post here and I can add it.