Why are my piggies getting sick?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:50 am

I wonder if a little Metacam would help further reduce the inflammation.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:39 pm

Got up today and Mr Bubbles eye had quite a bit of gunk in it. I believe it is the Terramycin causing whatever is in there to expel. Some of that could be the inert base of the ointment. I expected this and we're continuing to keep it as clean as we can.. The swelling of his third eyelid is still less that it was before starting the medication, but you can still see it.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:09 am

Mr Bubbles eye gunk is just lingering on. It's not very much at this point after the course of terramycin, but still there. It isn't causing him any discomfort as far as I can see. He's otherwise healthy. I was really sick yesterday so I didn't get to flush it and clean it out for him. I'm much better today and when I went to clean it, it didn't look any different than when I was treating it. If anything, it looks better than when I was flushing, cleaning and putting the terramycin in it. I am going to give it another day or two of observation and see if it keeps improving. If it looks bad, then I'll clean it out for him and contact his vet.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:12 am

Hoping it DOES finally clear up!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:32 am

It looks better today. It seems to go back and forth. I spoke with the vet about over the counter people eye drops that have anti-inflammatory effects and it isn't recommended for guinea pigs. They want to give the terramycin a couple more days to see if it knocks it out for good. It was a 10 day course, starting on the 20th, so it has a couple more days to go anyway. I have to call on Monday and let them know and they'll decide how to proceed with treatment. I'm sure there are veternary types of anti-inflammatory drops that we can use.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:43 am

Interesting on the human anti-inflammatory drops supposedly not being as good for guinea pigs.

I am glad he is in your hands!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:58 pm

They said not recommended. I suppose that with a lack of choices you could probably give visine drops. I'm just going to continue treatment as instructed and see where he's at on Monday.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:01 pm

There are anti-inflammatory drops that are prescribed for dogs and cats. I don't know how these differ from "human" drops, but I definitely wouldn't want to risk using something like Visine.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:08 pm

If I remember correctly, it would be a steroidal eye drop that has anti-inflammatory properties. I imagine it would only be available via prescription. I'll find out on Monday. Meanwhile, Mr Bubbles is as frisky as ever. I'm glad he isn't having any pain or discomfort from this.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:36 am

So Mr Bubbles had a clear eye all day. It was a little bit swollen in his 3rd eyelid, but no discharge. Then tonight when I went to give him his veggies, it was gunky again. I didn't put in a call to the vet because it hadn't had any discharge since I cleaned it last night. He fooled me, but that's not happening again. I'm calling his vet tomorrow and I'm tattling on him. That's it. We're going to have to address the swelling of his 3rd eyelid with an anti-inflammatory of some kind.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:54 am

For reference.

It looked much worse than this when it first started. If you zoom in and look closely,, you can see the poofy 3rd eyelid. The gunk he gets doesn't collect in his eye. It collects and dries around the outside of it as you can see. If he looks mad, that's because he is. He really hates having me mess with his eye.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:01 am

The conjunctiva does look swollen. I would get him looked at again. One side-issue of the discharge, is that he could start forming a fungal infection around the eye area.