Slight diarrhea, not acting 100% himself

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:30 pm

Thanks for the update, that is good news!

amberkenn2016

Post   » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:06 am

Hello all! The pigs here are both doing great, but this doesn't directly apply to just Leo. We have had some unwanted visitors (green bottle flies) make their way into the home and I have been trying to do everything I can to either kill or ward them off, obviously while being safe around the pigs. I was wondering if anyone has any tips for ridding ourselves of flies and whether or not ivermectin will be effective in preventing flystrike?

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:40 am

From what I’ve read online, they are attracted to garbage cans, decaying food, and animal carcasses. If you have a few flies in the house, they probably came in around a window of door. Larger numbers indicate a breeding area nearby, like a dumpster, open garbage can, or dead animal.

Sticky traps and hanging sticky tapes near windows can be effective without pesticide. Spraying an insecticide outside around doors and windows will help if there are a lot of flies getting in. Fly baits don’t work well with blowflies.

There is a lot of positive information about using ivermectin to treat flystrike in sheep.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:03 am

Thank you for the info! I have a bunch of sticky tape hanging around lights and the windows, so I'm good on that front. I have been able to get a few with an apple cider vinegar trap, which I'm happy with. I apply topical ivermectin on both pigs as a maintenance dose, just so we avoid future mite infestations. But, I read somewhere that ivermectin could be useful against flystrike, thus why I figured I'd ask, although I didn't see alot about it helping to prevent flystrike.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:40 am

I believe the green bottle flies are mostly (but perhaps not exclusively) opportunists. If there is the tiniest injury or some stinky poop on your guinea pig, they may lay eggs there, which can hatch and cause havoc. Examine your sinks, kitchen, any food that is out, anything that would help to nourish them.

I missed until it was terribly obvious (odor of dead flesh) that one of my chickens had maggots. Keep them clean, examine them for any suspicious signs of maggots, and follow any advice for getting rid of them.

p.s. I saved some maggots in an enclosed container to see what hatched and I believe it was those green flies. I am leery of all flies.