Medical Topic for Oswald

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:11 pm

I don't like the sound of "stones in the urethra." Did you see the x-rays? Why are they saying there "may" be stones? Either they're there or they're not. If he has stones in his urethra, it has to be very uncomfortable and are most likely causing a least a partial obstruction; the male guinea pig urethra is too narrow for it not to. Did the vet say they if they want to do anything to try to remove them?

I'd push fluids as much as possible to try to flush the bladder and *maybe* he can pass stones if they're there and if they're small enough. Metacam will help with arthritis pain as well. Have you already started him on it?

piggypatrol

Post   » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:16 pm

So me and my partner have done research and we found medications that people have had more success with. Medicam and Tyramidal are the ones that usually are prescribed by vets and I’ve seen quite a few videos on CBD cream that a local guinea pig rescue suggested as the number one pain relief medication for piggies with arthritis. I can bring these up to my vet since what she mentioned was different

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:53 pm

Did you see my question about his bladder/urethral stones? I'd be a little more concerned with that right now than the arthritis, although arthritis can certainly be a a very painful condition.

As far as the arthritis, Metacam is a safe, proven medication. It has anti-inflammatory properties in addition to providing pain relief. Tramadol is another safe and relatively non-zonking pain killer, but it does nothing for inflammation.

I have seen nothing convincing in terms of using CBD in guinea pigs.

piggypatrol

Post   » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:58 pm

Sorry didn’t see ur post till now, unfortunately can’t go in to the vet till Monday and I don’t have meticam on hand to get him started. Since we are still on lockdown they didn’t let me in to see the xrays but I’ll ask her on Monday on why she isn’t sure. Haven’t noticed him in pain when he urinates and he pees pretty often. I relocated his water bottle and he’s been drinking a lot more today

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:13 am

I think removing the loft and ramp might be a good idea, he probably will avoid using that if he's hurting. I think some movement at his own pace would benefit him, but he would probably welcome a little pain relief. I hope some high-fiber foods help him as well.

piggypatrol

Post   » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:45 am

The dr mostly wants him on greens and to limit amount of carrots and cucumber to see if that helps his diet. I should have included this earlier but here are the findings from the official radiology report

EXOTIC CONSULT: Exotics Radiographs Only
ABDOMEN, April 23, 2020: Right and left lateral and ventrodorsal projections of the abdomen are available for review (6 total). Comparison images from December 17, 2019 are additionally included.
FINDINGS: Serosal and retroperitoneal detail appears appropriate. The stomach contains a mild to moderate amount of gas and heterogenous soft tissue opaque material most consistent with food material. The small intestine are uniformly mildly to moderately distended with gas and heterogenous soft tissue opaque material most consistent with food material and the cecum contains a moderate volume of similar material. The colon contains a minimal amount of feces. The liver appears unremarkable and the spleen is poorly visualized. The renal silhouettes are obscured by gastrointestinal structures. The urinary bladder is mildly distended and is homogeneously soft tissue opaque. There multiple mineral opaque foci of the caudal pelvic region, some of which likely represent mineral opaque material admixed with feces or superimposed debris, though in the ventrodorsal projection, there is a line of mineral to the right of the rectum which may indicate urethrolithiasis. A portion of this pelvic mineral is evident in the previous examination. There is no evidence of calculi adjacent to the mineralized os penis.
Soft tissue swelling and subcutaneous gas dorsal to the cranial thorax likely represents recent fluid and/or medication administration. There are mild degenerative stifle changes with bilateral meniscal ossification or meniscal ossicles. The captured intrathoracic structures are unremarkable.
CONCLUSIONS:
1. The tract appears within normal limits with no evidence of pathologic distention to indicate mechanical obstruction, gastric malpositioning or other gastrointestinal abnormalities.
2. A portion of the mineral of the caudal pelvic region may represent mineral opaque material admixed with feces or superimposed debris, though urethral calculus formation to the right of the rectum is possible, though there is no evidence of severe/pathologic urinary bladder distention to indicate complete or severe partial mechanical obstruction of the lower urinary tract. Further evaluation of this region could be performed with sonography or retrograde positive contrast cystourethrography.
3. Degenerative stifle changes are noted bilaterall

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:24 pm

Sounds like the vet is pretty thorough. I would guess if he had less pain in his joints and would start moving more, the gas and digestion would improve as well. The fiber sounds like a good idea. Soft veggies like cukes are good for hydration but there’s not much fiber.

piggypatrol

Post   » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:11 pm

Yea I been slowly adjusting his diet while not and trying to balance it while also making him happy. He has been in much higher spirits last day or so probably because I modified his cage and brought the water bottle closer to him. I ordered him some pain cream and will take him to the vet for a follow up

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:43 am

Some warnings from the FDA about CBD:
-The FDA has approved only one CBD product, a prescription drug product to treat two rare, severe forms of epilepsy.
-Some CBD products are being marketed with unproven medical claims and are of unknown quality.

CBD has the potential to harm you, and harm can happen even before you become aware of it:
-********CBD can cause liver injury.*********

CBD can cause side effects that you might notice.
-Gastrointestinal distress, most commonly experienced as diarrhea and/or decreased appetite.

There are many important aspects about CBD that we just don’t know

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer- ... r-cannabis

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:13 pm

Thanks for the FDA link, Bookfan. It seems like so many places selling CBD have popped up all over. All the products have different manufacturers and make so many claims I’ve been highly suspicious.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:46 pm

I agree and would not trust it myself, let alone with a small animal.

piggypatrol

Post   » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:41 pm

I know it’s controversial but it’s coming from a reliable source. I will talk with my vet about her opinion on it and I will be careful if not I will go with the medicam