Blood spots on Lacey’s bedding

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:10 pm

I sure hope you can find and correct whatever's wrong too! And I hope she is able to keep up her weight in the meantime.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:48 pm

Lacey is currently at the vet, who just called with a complete exam and xrays of her mouth, skull, teeth, gums, ear canals, sinuses and there are no issues.

She has a mass and apparently fluid on the right side of her abdomen that the vet thinks may be an ovarian cyst. She said when fluid backs up in the digestive tract, they feel like they should eat but can't. The vet plans drain the fluid and see if that helps her feel like eating again. If so, she said surgery to remove the cyst is the only option.

So I'm faced with the same question so many have had on this forum - do I go through with surgery on a pig who just turned 5 years old? I hate to put her through that, but I also don't think the vet would have suggested it if it's a bad idea. She seems to really be conscientious and caring.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:53 pm

Are there any indications this is an ovarian cyst that might respond to hormonal treatment? Have you observed any of the typical hormonal behavior some pigs show? Nipples look okay?

I am thinking the more obviously this might be a typical ovarian cyst, the more likely hormonal treatment might help, ideally in reducing the size of the cyst.

I guess we wait to see if draining the cyst helps significantly.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:11 pm

The vet mentioned during the first exam that her nipples were a little large. I haven't noticed any hormonal behavior, but she has always been a bit feisty. She'll jump at the whisk broom when I clean the cage and if I move her stuffed bunny she jumps at it and sometimes nips its nose.

Maybe I shouldn't have put so much emphasis on dental and sinus. Initially the vet was thinking ultrasound to find out what was going on with digestion. That was the original problem - a gas bubble and not eating. I should have just let her draw her own conclusions. But when I saw Lacey pawing at her mouth, dropping hay, and mouthing the pellets without actually eating them, I didn't think that was digestive. These little babes are so complicated!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:30 pm

I would have done the same thing, Itsazoo. Pawing at her mouth and mouthing pellets are textbook dental and relatively easy enough to at least rule out.

Sending you both good thoughts. Agree with you 100%---these little ones are so complex!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:43 pm

She’s home and a little loopy, but hungry for CC so I gave her a few syringes. She’s nibbling at a vitamin C, and a few small blades of grass. They didn’t get much fluid from the cyst. So now the vet will follow up tomorrow and next would be ultrasound for possible surgery. I don’t know if I want to put her through that, but we’ll see how she feels tomorrow.

I told the tech that I felt like misled them with the dental-type symptoms. She said its very common to have dental issues and have something caught in their mouth. The vet does a complete rinse and swab before radiographs and an exam. There could have been something that was flushed out, but I think that’s probably a long-shot.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:42 am

This morning Lacey is alert, hungry, wheeking for food. She ate a lot of hay smoothie and thick CC. I have to mix it with some watermelon juice since she doesn’t like any of the CC flavors.

When she eats she doesn’t open her mouth wide enough to pick up food. And it takes forever for her to eat pellets because she nibbles with tiny little bites. It’s kind of like watching a mouse nibbling. I’m puzzled, but I still think this is mouth or jaw related.

If a cyst was pressing on her stomach or digestive tract she would be uncomfortable and probably wouldn’t feel like eating. Or maybe even feel like gagging. But she’s hungry and she’s excited about food. So frustrating.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:09 pm

I remember Pinta using a vibrating toothbrush to massage the jaw muscles. I wonder if some sort of massage might help her/loosen things up.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:46 am

Great minds think alike! Last night I wrapped a warm pack around her jaw and sinuses, then massaged her jaw from behind her ears all the way to her chin. She seemed to enjoy the attention. And everything that I can feel is symmetrical - no lumps or bumps on either side.

Then I got the Ninja out and made some corn husk and carrot “cole slaw” which she enjoyed. She also likes one of the hay smoothie mixes that includes watermelon. It’s thick so she has to chew it, and she eats it off a saucer.

I shredded some hay as well, and tried the hay from the bottom of the bag but she’s not interested. I’ve offered it in a cup hanging on the cage so she can just pull pieces out. She eats fresh grass that way, but not the hay.

She’s eating pellets from her cup. She wheeks for vitamin C and Simple Reward treats. I break them in half and run a little warm water over them.

It’s a mystery. The way she picks food up like she doesn’t want to touch her gums or teeth. Even when I syringe feed, she barely touches the syringe and just kind of reaches with her lips. Reminds me of how horses eat.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:03 pm

Well her problem may be a mystery at this point, but she sure is getting gourmet cuisine!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:36 pm

No kidding. The vet said the same thing - that I'm giving her excellent care. She called yesterday to follow up and we talked for a while. I told her how Lacey is eating and my suspicion that there's soreness in a muscle, tendon, or tooth/gum. She agreed and also mentioned neurological issues.

There's a specialty clinic about an hour from here and she would give me a referral. But the anesthetic and testing takes a toll, and I just don't want to put her through that. So the vet said to keep using the Metacam, keep her fed and comfortable, and see how she does over the next few days.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:31 pm

I would hope those vitamin C treats you are giving would make a difference too.

Anyway, crossing fingers!