Fasting for 12 hours before surgery?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:18 am

I broke your long post into paragraphs so it is easier to read. A large block of text is impossible.

Yes, creams will stay in better than drops. I would use them.

Is it one eye or two? I would avoid irritants outside if being outside bothers him.

I take it you have looked over:
https://www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html

Allergies are possible but not as likely as respiratory infections. You want to sort through an injury or irritation to the eye vs. a medical condition contributing to the eyes watering. Note if there are any other signs. For example, elongated teeth can make an eye tear. An eye can tear because the tear duct is blocked. That eye page might give you some ideas.

MarlowePieper11

Post   » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:35 pm

Hello again! It's been 2 years since I began this thread and my guinea pig had developed another bladder stone. He had surgery to have it removed on Thursday, spent the night at the vets and I picked him up on Friday. The surgery was $1,100. I'm just throwing that out there to show you where my head is at at this current moment.

When I picked him up at the vet it was a young girl who was explaining everything to me, how to give the meds and such. I did notice that he had a little bit of crunchy breathing, but I will say that a few times, quite a few times even it could be said, he has gotten what I presume is maybe a piece of hay or something lodged somewhere and once he coughs or sneezes it clears and he's fine.

They didn't say anything about it so I just presumed that was probably it and I brought him home. He was doing okay, as I would expect a guinea pig to do after surgery although this is all new to me. His poops were just little pellets but understandable again since he just had surgery.

Eating well and moving around and sleeping just fine. He still had the crunchy breathing later in the day yesterday, and it almost seems to have at times gotten worse. What actually made me nervous is that my dog was napping in the den where the guinea pig is and we have a little camera in there.

I heard my dog crying and looking at the cage so I went down. I did notice that since this morning he hasn't been pooping very much although he did overnight. It's 4:30 p.m. now. He hasn't really been eating very many of his pellets but it looks like he's been eating a little bit of his hay, I gave him some critical Care and he had a big syringe full but no more than that about an hour ago.

Still not really any new poops. He's sleeping comfortably now but you can still hear his crunchy breathing. I think I just presumed from the get-go after picking him up that it would hurt for him to call for sneeze it all to kind of force that out. I am getting really nervous about a URI though.

If this had happened out of the blue or if I hadn't already spent $1,100 on him two days ago and $200 on him last month for an ear infection then I probably would have taken him to the vet. But I don't know what to expect after surgery!

I did happen to see something that said sometimes there are worse 60 hours after the surgery and we're headed to that time frame now. Just thought it couldn't hurt to type this out and post it here to see if you had anything to say about it.

[Edit - I broke up your long post. Please break up long posts and put a line of space between the paragraphs so we can read it - Lynx]

MarlowePieper11

Post   » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:45 pm

Feeding him critical Care every half hour or so and right now he is eating pellets on his own

MarlowePieper11

Post   » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:46 pm

And now hay.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:48 pm

It could have just been some lingering after-effects from the anesthesia. Glad to hear he is eating some on his own, now.

MarlowePieper11

Post   » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:58 pm

Thank you! This is so crazy not knowing what's going on. My husband did say it's it was a URI he would've been dead by now, as we had one girl who had one and was fine within hours unfortunately. I really appreciate any thoughts! Hopefully I can sleep tonight. He is still a bit crunchy breathing, and not terribly attracted to food but maybe tomorrow will be better.

MarlowePieper11

Post   » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:58 pm

*dead within hours I meant to say. 😣

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:02 pm

Hopefully not fluid in his lungs. If he hasn't improved by tomorrow, I think it warrants a call to your vet.

MarlowePieper11

Post   » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:41 pm

Ok thank you, I've thought of that possibility as well

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:52 pm

If you had another major surgery for stones, hopefully you read all the post op advice here. Talishan's advice on pain management is especially helpful. It is worth reading again if you have not read it recently:
https://www.guinealynx.info/postop.html

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:56 pm

Hope he is better soon. Is he on pain medication and antibiotics? Plus Probiotic too. Have paws crossed here!

MarlowePieper11

Post   » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:10 am

He is on Meloxicam, Trimeth/Sulf, and Gabapentin. No probiotics were given to us. I checked on him throughout the night and he seemed to be sleeping peacefully. Upon waking him up this morning, I saw that he had been pooping! Still smaller ones, not totally back to normal but happy that they were there. And as soon as I took his head away he ran over to his food like he was starving. Conditionally, although he still has a bit of that crunchy breathing he sounds a lot better! When I tiptoed into the den where he is this morning with all the lights off I didn't hear anything in fact. So I think he is on the mend, and may very well have just been side effects of anesthesia. His regular vet where he had the surgery opens tomorrow so I will give them a call then. All the emergency that's around us are ones I don't necessarily trust with guinea pigs as I've done pretty in-depth research about the vets around me. And thank you so much for the advice exclamation I had looked over the aftercare article that you posted and appreciate it.