Jewel and Jinx's medical thread

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:05 am

How long a try did you give the BioSponge? Do you still have some?

Laying in pee can definitely have an affect on health. What kind of bedding are you using these days?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:10 am

Have towels, then fleeced blankets, then vet/dry bed. This is to keep them dry and warm being on the floor. As to Bio-Sponge have heaps left. Had Jill on it for 3 weeks twice a day and it just had no affect except to make her poops more mushy. When Jinx started on Bactrim Thursday tried her on Bio-Sponge and it didn't agree with her either. Thanks Lynx. Bio-Sponge is in the fridge.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:39 pm

You might have to give her a rinse in the morning and try something like coconut oil on her bum to protect from moisture. I can't think of anything else since traditional preventions like cranberry don't to anything.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:06 am

Thanks ItsaZoo, have bought coconut oil for Jill's feet so can use it on Jinx's private part as well. Thanks for the tip!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:53 am

I was thinking they use a lotion barrier for babies to prevent diaper rash so maybe it will help with guinea pigs.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:20 am

daisymay writes:
Hello piggy slaves me and my sister Jewel(cream fat slob) turned 5 on February 28th hence the silly hats. But because our slave lost this piggy on February 28th same year and day we were born we get to celebrate on March 1st.
Our slave is sorry for late posting but she has felt unwell of late. We had a great day and also got 2 beds each(I keep peeing in mine) hey when you have to go let it rip!
Mum is concerned of my sister Jewel who is of food a little mighty unusual for her, she'll eat anything that doesn't eat her first.
She was given the pudding a cuddle today and found on her back right hand side near front leg a hard moveable lump size of a marble. Any ideas? My slave played with it and my dumb sister didn't even notice! I got the brain and looks in the family. Thanks for reading Jinx.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:40 am

Birthday wishes to you both!

I didn't realize you (Daisymay) have a self-cream; she looks a lot like my Zachary (my avatar pig). Our Albert has a lump near a front leg that our veterinarian determined to be a lipoma. You might find something helpful here:
https://www.guinealynx.info/lumps.html

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:42 am

Belated birthday wishes to both of you cuties! Hope Daisymay is feeling better - be nice to her - she works hard so you can live the posh life!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:02 pm

Happy birthday to the girls! Sounds like some kind of benign tumor - that's my expert opinion given I haven't seen or felt it & am not a vet.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:55 am

Went to vet-took Jinx, Jewel and Jay. Jay will get hormone injections when it comes in. Jewel who had sore in corner of her eye will get eye ointment.

Jinx how ever the vet felt a mass in her abdomen. Not sure if in uterus, bladder or whether it has spread. So everything is up in the air at the moment. She is booked in for surgery and X-rays on Wednesday.

Our late Zoe had tumours in uterus and ovaries both removed. Our late Choloe who was 2 had tumour on bladder size of 20 cent piece we let her sleep and not wake from surgery. But with Choloe she was passing a lot of blood which thankfully Jinx isn't. Jinx's towels are clean. BUT Jinx was the piggy who had a bladder stone around 2 years ago. Will keep you posted.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:36 am

Not that anyone replied but just got back from vet an hour ago. Jinx had her surgery.The Tumour was size of golf ball in her uterus and intertwined around bladder. Jinx chocolate(licorice stick) piggy.

Vet removed uterus and tumour and dissected bladder. She also removed Jinx's ovaries which were very cystic. So Now it all depends on Jinx, vet said touch and go.

She is on Meloxicam(first time I have ever used the dog one) 0.05mls a day (weight 950grams) starting tomorrow night as was given injection. And she has 5 days twice a day worth of Bactrim half a ml each time starting tonight.

She is here as usual in lounge with me and the other girls and have heater on to keep room warm. She is waking up and has had some silverbeet leaves. So am hoping and praying(not religious) that she makes it through. I know she is 5 but am not ready to say good bye to her or any of the girls. NOT after the 2021 I went through. Will keep you posted. She has at least 15-20 stitches on her tummy, must watch for bleeding and weeping. Any other tips? Been a long time-2009 since a piggy in my care needed after surgery care!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:11 am

Split the meloxicam dose in half, add 10 %, and give it twice a day rather than once. It'll do much better for pain control.