Accidentally Got Liqiud Antibiotic in Morty's Eye

amberkenn2016

Post   » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:39 am

His lips are still pink as ever and I hear a small bit of rasping. I've also noticed that he's kind of dribbling at the mouth, which is usually a sign to me that he's not improving. The hooting is still happening unfortunately, but he's still as active and interested in food as he always is.

I've always housed him on a combo of paper bedding and fleece, the paper being in high traffic areas that gets soiled very easily. I wonder if changing this will help him?

ClemmyOddieIndy

Post   » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:23 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your pig. I had a pig in heart failure, but it's been a long time ago. I think she died in 2013. She was on furosemide and something else (maybe Vetmedin, but it's been so long I can't remember). I think she lived about a year if I remember right, but it wasn't the heart failure that got her it was cancer. I had a dog in severe heart failure for years. She had many bad days, but we lived for the good days. She eventually had a stroke and died on the way to the vet.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:50 pm

Thank you for sharing that. It's been 5 months since his diagnosis, so I would think you're very lucky to have had yours for that long. Right now he's been hoot free for the past, maybe 6 hours? So I'm holding onto hope that he's slowly improving. I've practically been living just outside the cage keeping an eye on him while I go about my day. Hopefully I'll be able to update with more good news!

amberkenn2016

Post   » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:36 pm

Okay, very dumb question here, but we just got a new bottle of liquid enalapril. It's quite the drive to get there and back, so I thought it'd be smart to get a bag of ice and keep it near the bottle to keep it cold because we were told to keep it cold. I noticed that once we got home, I think I saw a small part of the solution frozen. Is this going to affect the medication?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:27 am

I doubt it.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:54 pm

Hey guys I just need a little advice with Morty again. This morning, he started barely eating any of the veggies I've given him, which he almost never does( he's still eating his pellets and hay). On top of that, his poops are really soft and they smell. I've made an appointment for tomorrow with his regular vet, which is the soonest they could take us, and we've been giving him as much critical care and water that he can stomach. We've also been giving him Benebac in the powder form in hopes that might harden his poops just a little. He's never had this happen before, although he's had soft poops in the past, they just never smelled bad that I've noticed, and we're also wondering if this is the result of the medications he's under for his heart.

Any advice or suggestions to help him until we can get him in would be very appreciated.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:43 pm

Soft, smelly poops are cecal poops if they're greenish. If not green, they're definitely an indication of some GI problem. The lack of fecal poops is also.

Has there been any recent change in any of the meds he's taking?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:30 pm

Ditto bpatters. You may wish to reread:
https://www.guinealynx.info/diarrhea.html

amberkenn2016

Post   » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:06 am

bpatters- There hasn't been any change in meds, and I don't believe they're cecal poops. I've seen a ton of them in my time owning pigs and they don't look like them I don't think. I'm hoping that his poops will harden by the morning, but I'll give updates when I can.

And thank you Lynx for the link!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:15 am

If they're not cecal but they're smelly, he's got something going on in the GI tract. I'd see a vet for some flagyl or other antibiotic.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:20 pm

Completely hypothetical here, but would having another med added on to help him with gut issues be too much for him? I know the alternative, to just let him suffer, wouldn't be an option, but he's already on quite a few meds (pimobendan, furosemide, and enalapril). I'm willing to help him out however way I can because he's my little Mort, but I don't know what to expect when adding another med like an AB.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:41 pm

Update: We just got back from the vet, and they found that he had quite a bit of air in his stomach. The vet is thinking that the reason there's so much is because Morty's heart and lungs are deteriorating to the point that the air goes past the lungs. She doesn't think increasing meds would help, and she also said there was a possibility of an URI happening as well. So we were sent home with doxycycline and she suggested euthanasia is in the near future for him.

I'm heartbroken. He's home with us as we speak and I'm going to try to give the AB's to see if he improves, but I don't know what else I can do. We are also continuing the probiotic and critical care. He squeaks every time he goes to the bathroom and I can't stand to see him in pain. I just wish I could take all of this away from him.