mammary tumor removal and anesthesia on senior guinea pig

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue May 12, 2020 3:30 pm

My $.02 on cranberry juice. It's useless in a guinea pig. Their urine is naturally basic, and it would take a hell of a lot to push it over into acidic, which is the purpose of drinking cranberry juice.

I'd stick with the pedialyte. Most pigs love it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 12, 2020 9:11 pm

You could dilute the unsweetened cranberry juice by 50% (one part water, one part juice) if you wanted to. It is likely pretty strong. You mentioned using it to mix critical care? That sounds interesting. I hope he likes it (not many guinea pigs get a chance to try some).

I hope the surgery goes well.

Luna1

Post   » Wed May 13, 2020 12:35 am

I was reading the section about hand feeding which had a link to this discussion:

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1412

That's why I got pedialyte and cranberry juice, in case I need to hand feed him, and he doesn't like critical care when mixed with water.

Thank you Lynx, I hope so too!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed May 13, 2020 3:15 am

Definitely want to dilute it if it's the concentrated stuff. To help with Critical Care palatability, you can try warming it just a little in the microwave--no more than just a few seconds. Warming it seems to improve the taste and texture of it. Good luck!

Luna1

Post   » Wed May 13, 2020 7:23 pm

Surgery is finished, just brought him back home! He is eating and drinking by himself for now, I will keep monitoring him. One thing I noticed is that he is making weird noises when breathing, as if his nose is blocked. Doctor checked his lungs, and said that is clear. She said he might be drooling because he is still sedated. Do you have any experience with breathing noises after anesthesia, surgery?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 13, 2020 10:39 pm

From what I understand, some guinea pigs do have minor complications with breathing after anesthesia. It should clear up. It would make sense that the sedation might be related to the drooling, too.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu May 14, 2020 12:21 am

It's a good sign that he's interested in food and he's drinking. I hope the best for him.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Thu May 14, 2020 11:32 am

How is he today?

Luna1

Post   » Thu May 14, 2020 12:58 pm

He is still eating hay pellets and drinking water by himself. He gave me a purr when I petted him. He is pooping and urinating as well. I am giving him meloxicam and bactrim, he doesn't seem to like bactrim that much so it's harder to feed him that. His breathing is still noisy (like he is a bit blocked). I think the vet did endoscopic intubation during the surgery (based on the quote I got at the end). I am wondering maybe that irritated his throat and that's why he is making those noises. Will continue watching him.

Luna1

Post   » Thu May 14, 2020 3:44 pm

Update: They called from the vet to check on him, and confirmed that they intubated him which might have irritated his throat. They said the noise should go away in couple of days. Hope that will be the case...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu May 14, 2020 9:19 pm

Glad you got the information that he was intubated. It does explain a lot. Sending good thoughts for him!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri May 15, 2020 2:29 pm

Good news.