mammary tumor removal and anesthesia on senior guinea pig

Luna1

Post   » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:38 pm

Hello,

Recently I noticed that Gerbil has been breathing heavier than normal (his belly is up and down with each breath more pronounced than before). He didn't have any hooting, wheezing sounds, sneezing or nasal discharge. Given he is 8 years old now, I thought it might be heart related problems.

I took him to the vet today and X-ray showed that his heart is enlarged, but the vet said she didn't see any fluid retention in lungs or heart. She prescribed us 0.5ml of furosemide twice a day (10mg/ml), and 0.1 ml of enalapril (5mg/ml) once a day. His weight is ~1000grams

For those of you who had pigs with heart problems, did you give them on furosemide everyday or as necessary? Is this dosage too high?

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:56 pm

I would absolutely give the medications on a daily basis. My heart pigs got a lot of benefit; they breathed easier, but also regained some weight and seemed all around more energetic and comfortable. I'm sorry I can't look up their dosages.

Let us know how Gerbil does. Eight is an impressive age!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:42 pm

We have a dog on both those meds. Furosemide should be given daily at regular intervals. It is a diuretic and kicks in about 20 minutes after it’s ingested. I have read that it also has a slight bronchial dilator effect so it may help breathing easier. It has helped our dog, I hope you see improvements as well.

Luna1

Post   » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:34 pm

Thank you, I was reading the forum for diuretics and it looked like people try to minimize the usage of furosemide once the guinea pig doesn't show any respiratory distress symptoms. I was just surprised why he was prescribed diuretics if there is/around no fluid in lungs. His breathing is still heavy, not sure if the the dosage is right for him. I also don't know how quick should I see the effect of the medications.

I know given his age and condition he probably doesn't have much time left with us, I just want to make sure that he is not in pain.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:08 pm

I was hoping to point you to a helpful post by one of our members who had some general guidelines on how to decide if one would increase or lower drug doses but could not quite find what I hoped to find. You could ask your vet what to look for and what to expect and how the doses might be adjusted for optimal effect.

Here is a topic where a collection of members whose guinea pigs have been treated for heart issues describe signs of illness and treatment. It was started some time ago and there are many pages. Perhaps starting from the end and working backwards might be interesting. You will find many with regular doses of Lasix / furosemide. There will likely be a few links to a discussion of their own guinea pigs.
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25375

Luna1

Post   » Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:34 am

Hi again,

Gerbil has been doing much worse lately. I am afraid his time is coming very soon...

His weight is now at 800 grams. Couple months ago he started getting bumblefoot, I do everything to heal one foot, but then another one gets it. He lost movement in his back legs, due to arthritis, so he can barely move. He has a nasty sore under his left front foot right now, which is not healing :(

This last week, he stopped eating hay, I see him trying, and making chewing sounds, but there is nothing in his mouth. He also does the gagging motion as if he is annoyed with something in his mouth. I started feeding him with syringe (ciritical care), and he is eating that happily, so I know he wants to eat but can't. He occasionally drinks water but not enough imo. I am guessing he is dehydrated. I try to syringe feed water but I don't force him. I am thinking he might have teeth issues. His weight has been stable last couple days but don't know for how long.

In the last few weeks he also stopped purring when being petted, and lost his voice completely (even when he is annoyed or hurting, he doesnt squeak). He can not push his poops out anymore, I have to take them out.

I am taking him to the vet this week, but at his age (8 years and 10 months), and given his conditions (enlarged heart, severe arthritis), I feel like there isn't much to do. I can ask for xrays for his teeth but I don't want him to get sedated.

I love him so much, but I don't want him to suffer for my selfish reasons of wanting to spend more time with him. How do I know when it is time to let him go? One thing I can think of is if he stops eating the critical care on his own, I don't want to force it on him, but I don't want him to get a bloat also...

Thank you for reading my message, I just wanted to share how things are lately...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:40 am

8 years and 10 months is a fine age. I can tell how much you love him and how well you have cared for him over the years. I suspect with less movement (you mention his back legs no longer work, arthritis as a likely cause) there is less blood circulation, perhaps contributing to the hard to heal and recurring sores on his feet. The heart issues may also contribute to this. That his behavior is changed (no longer purring when petted - for you a change) may indicate he is in some pain. Is he on meloxicam?

I know you are coming from a place of love when you say you are reluctant to pursue malocclusion (a possibility) and extending a life, given all the medical issues he is facing now.

Thanks for the update. Let us know how this week's visit with the vet goes.

Luna1

Post   » Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:36 pm

Yes he was on meloxicam.

Unfortunately, Gerbil took a turn for the worse on sunday. He started rejecting the syringe feeding, and his energy levels were getting even lower. I kept feeding him since I didn't want him to get a bloat. This morning, he was cold and could barely move, he was breathing very slowly. I took him to the vet, and given his state, we decided to put him down. He looked so tired, and I was there holding him until the end...

The vet looked at his teeth and said they looked fine, his lungs were clear too, so I don't know what got him in the end. Maybe it was the infection in his feet (I was using an antibiotic though), or maybe it was his kidneys failing after all the medications he was on. Or could it be dehydration (although he was still peeing a bit)? I was worried if something got stuck in his throat or mouth and if that's why he couldn't eat even though he seemed interested, and was doing the gagging motion. Or maybe just old age...I will never know.

I will miss him so much, I am so grateful for all the lovely years we had together. It was so hard seeing him deteriorate over the last year, but I will always remember Gerbil with his loud wheeks in the morning, his curious and friendly manner, his warm cuddles, and purrs, his love for cilantro, lettuce and pepper, him coming down his ramp every morning and night for exercise time....Goodbye my old friend, my little muse, rest in peace...I am glad that you are no longer suffering...You were the best guinea pig one could ask for, thank you for everything...

[https://ibb.co/cQn6QrV]

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:48 am

I am so sorry he is gone. What an important part of your life he was. It sounds like you have many wonderful memories of him.
You have all our sympathy.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:23 pm

He sounds like he was a wonderful pig. Losing a pig is just wrenching. I'm so sorry.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:11 pm

I'm very sorry you lost him.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:22 pm

I'm very sorry.