mammary tumor removal and anesthesia on senior guinea pig

Luna1

Post   » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:48 pm

Here is where I got the info on wheat grass:

https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/900675/2

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:48 pm

I can't find anything about the nutritional value of wheatgrass itself. I see values for juice, and for powder, but not for stalks of grass. But if what you're seeing rates it much higher than parsley, you should switch to something else. Parsley is so high in calcium that it's recommended only as a treat for adult pigs.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:27 am

I don't have data on wheat grass. Keep in mind that when a 100g amount is used, the items compared will have different calorie counts and water content. I attempted to equalize this by using 10 calorie comparisons on my chart page.
https://www.guinealynx.info/chart.html

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:50 am

It can be difficult to get them to drink more. If you feed plain green or red leaf lettuce, soak the lettuce in water and leave it wet so he gets more moisture to flush his system.

Luna1

Post   » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:38 pm

Hi everyone,

Gerbil is 7.5 years old now and he started to lose weight recently. 5 months ago he started losing weight (~50grams) but I changed his hay and he got back to his normal weight range. 2 months ago, he started to lose weight again, he used to be in the 1170-1190 gram range, now he is down to 1120 grams and he is dropping slowly but still dropping. I weigh him everyday before breakfast same time. He has also gotten much slower and sleepier. And he is super picky with his hay now. I am trying all different kinds of hay (timothy, orchard, oat, different brands) but he seems to not eat most of it.

I did book a vet visit for him in 10 days, but I am writing here to ask for your experiences with senior pigs losing weight. How much weight loss is normal for old age? I read they lose and plateau but how much would they lose? 10% of body weight? Less? Do they tend to get pickier with hay? I know other things could be heart, kidney, teeth related problems. He was diagnosed with beginning arthritis in November but I started giving him meloxicam (his vet prescribed 0.4ml twice a day as needed but I feel this is a bit too much?) and that doesn't seem to help with weight gain. Anything else I should keep in mind and ask his vet? Thank you for your help.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:16 pm

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:22 pm

All of our pigs who were long-lived lost weight and got bony. We've only had one pig live past 7. They also seem to slow down & sleep more and more deeply. I haven't noticed them being pickier with food unless something else is going on health-wise, Sorry, can't remember the details of gradual weight loss in older pigs.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:33 pm

He's held his weight very well. All my elderly pigs have lost much more. My 6-ish year old neutered boar was once a furry little brick at 1560 grams, lost a lot over the last couple of years, and now is semi-plateaued at 1120. He's not picky but chews more slowly than his young and hefty wife.

He's on metacam for possible arthritis; I will post dosage later.

Luna1

Post   » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:32 am

Hi all,

Couple days after I posted this, I had to take Gerbil to emergency vet on sunday because I noticed he was not eating his hay and pellets, and had very small and little amount of stools. As I suspected he was diagnosed with GI stasis after an X-ray. They gave him some motility drugs and fluids and hand feeding. He spend 24 hours at the hospital. This was 2 weeks ago, he is doing better now. He eats and drinks by himself, but he is still slowly losing weight...He was actually eating much better the first couple of days he came back from the hospital, now he is getting a bit picky again...They also did bloodwork and said his kidneys were fine, and nothing was abnormal about the blood work. Physical exam was also fine. He lost ~100 grams in the last 2.5 months. Not sure if this due to old age, or another underlying illness. What else can I do to make sure I am not missing anything? I love him so much, I am having a hard time seeing him lose weight like this. I have some left over motility drug (cisapride), should I try to give him some more? Thank you for all your help.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:08 am

Do you have Critical Care on hand that you could try to feed him? I mix up a spoonful and give it to my 5 year old a few times a week. She has lost some weight and had an episode a few weeks ago when she stopped eating and drinking, so I thought this would be a good supplement.

Is he staying hydrated? If he doesn't drink enough, his digestion will slow and he could end up with a blockage.

I know some people have mentioned feeding rolled oats to help put some weight on, but I don't know how effective that is.

Luna1

Post   » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:16 pm

Yes, I have some, I can try that. Do you know how long it lasts once you open it? Thanks!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:25 pm

Close it as best you can to keep the air out (fold/roll top and clip closed). It can be stored in the refrigerator for longest life.