Binky's health

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:37 am

Good job Binky (& pigjes).

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:31 am

OK, his last dosage today, all clear up till now, again pus. I was wondering already last night, as it seemed to hurt when I cleaned his ear, so my suspicions got confirmed. Off to the vet to get oral meds.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:29 am

Poor guy! The ear is such a difficult area to deal with. I am worried about the pus in the ear. I do not know but wonder if any flushing would be safe.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:02 am

Darn. Well, hopefully a round of oral meds will clear it up for him.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:33 pm

Flushing with salty water is required twice a day, I have been doing this since the first infection as long as the meds are required.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:08 pm

Not rereading but has he had a recent xray to check look at the extent of the infection?

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:38 am

If it doesn't go away, I was planning on asking her to take one, besides doing a swab.

He seems very happy today, fever has gone again, and he was not up for getting treated and medicated, which is always the case when a piggie thinks it's fully healed, lol. So, that one dosage of oral meds extra seems to have helped already. Fingers crossed.

SardonicSmile

Post   » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:26 am

Hopefully he will beat this infection soon.

I know you said you tried all kinds of hay, even the pressed kind, but I was looking for my piggies and found this site with pressed hay with herbs in them. They have a couple of types.

https://www.eko4petz.nl/a-53395728/hooi ... escription

They also have a 0.5% calcium food, but it is 40% grain.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:55 am

Cool!! I will try these soon! Thanks a lot!

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:27 am

Update: the oral and topical antibiotics did not solve it. Each day I used it after the initial improvement, it got worse. I got the impression that the droplets just formed a liquid layer that sealed off the bacteria without killing them, and in 12 hours, the bacteria produced a massive amount of goop, yuck.

So, I switched to more oral (looked the dosage up) and Fucithalmic again, which did the trick. He did have a few days after treatment of forming a lot of wax, as Fucithalmic tends to dry out the treated area, but that got back to normal over a week's time. He has been without any issues since.

And he's happy again. He developed a new funny thing with all that ear fuss. When he has to go back to the cage, I kiss him and he wants me to kiss one front paw, he puts it on my nose. I then kiss his paw (ignoring where it has been, I can deal with that after, lol) and he smiles at me. He keeps doing that till I burst out in laughter.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:09 am

That is amazing, pigjes. You have such a special relationship with all of your fur-kids.

So glad he is doing much better!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:25 am

I love your descriptions of Binky. Such a character! I am betting there is a lot of love in that little body.

And so glad you found a solution for this!