Incisor growing weird and jagged

beefyduck

Post   » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:23 pm

That's good to know. I think I will see if it it's due to injury before I proceed with medication. Thanks for the help!

Sure you can copy the image!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:40 pm

Thanks, here's a crop:

beefyduck

Post   » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:50 am

Hi again everyone. I am back with an update on Duck. Please let me know if this should be in a new thread!

About a week after my last post in this thread, one of Duck's eyes was protruding quite a bit and it was pretty watery. We ended up taking Duck back to the vet for an xray. There were no obvious points of concern in the scan but the vet said there was just the slightest bright spot that suggested an ear infection. We went home with some antibiotics (orbax) for 2 weeks. Duck was doing pretty well- she started eating normally, sleeping normal amounts, and gained her weight back. Her eye stopped being as watery, but it was still protruding enough for it to be noticeable. The vet said the next step is to look into seeing an exotic vet who specializes in optometry, but she did mention that if Duck's eye doesn't seem to bother her and it doesn't dry out then we have a bit of time before we need to do that. We left it at that because Duck seemed back to normal.

I noticed these past 3 days that Duck has been sleeping outside of her hidey with her head wedged in between corners? I know this is a sign of pain/discomfort so I am worried that the infection never fully cleared from January and has progressed enough to give Duck discomfort again. She is still eating her hay and pellets (picky with her veg, but she always has been). I also see her occasionally opening her mouth extra wide while chewing as if to reposition the food. Her eye has been protruding this entire time by the way. Some days it looks better and others it looks worse and even watery again.

Do you think this could be the same infection from January? What do you guys recommend I do? I'm thinking about asking my vet for more orbax. I'm not sure if that would be allowed without re-examining Duck. As always, any input is appreciated!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:11 pm

It could be that the ear infection flared up again, but it could also be dental and/or sinus related. I think another trip to the vet is in order, to see if there is anything going on with the roots of teeth, or anything suspicious in the sinus area.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:15 pm

Ditto ItsaZoo. Elongated roots, for example, can push on the eye too so a dental exam could help. Xrays should show the presence of infection or elongated roots.

beefyduck

Post   » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:40 pm

We had originally brought Duck to the vet thinking it was elongated roots but the vet didn't mention that anything looked off with her roots when she reviewed the xray. Would a dental exam tell us something that the xray missed?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:55 am

I would think an xray would clearly show if the roots were elongated. Someone not really familiar with guinea pig dental xrays might not see it. The xray supposedly helps to visualize some infections. If you are not noticing any problems that could indicate dental problems (read over the following pages), an xray, read by an experienced vet or experienced veterinary dentist, would indeed have provided the info you needed.
https://www.guinealynx.info/malocclusion.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/teeth.html