The meds are Ofloxacin drops (0.3%, 1 drop to affected eye every 6 hours "until instructed otherwise"), Baytril (20 mg/ml, 0.2 ml every 12 hours for 10 days), and Metacam (1.5 mg/ml, 0.2 ml every 24 hours for 7 days). For reference, she's a small pig (644 grams). Maybe I'm overthinking her meds, but I had a terrible Baytril experience with another pig who developed severe GI stasis while on Baytril for a possible UTI and died (despite Critical Care feedings and multiple vet visits). I'm wondering if maybe the Baytril is superfluous in this situation if she's already going to be getting the topical antibiotic drops (the Ofloxacin)? I know too well that antibiotics are not without risk. Then again, I'd be devastated if I forego the Baytril and she develops a severe infection of some kind. I do plan to call my regular vet in the morning to make an appointment and ask her advice. I'm just going mildly crazy tonight trying to decide whether to start the Baytril in the meantime (I'd give probiotics with it and supplemental Critical Care, but I'm still scared).
Does anyone else have experience with these meds for this condition? Thank you in advance (this is my first post but I've been a longtime lurker and so appreciate the wealth of knowledge and experience here!) <3
I have not had a personal experience with a similar issue or these meds (except for the Baytril - I think most of us are familiar with it). Hopefully you will get a few more opinions.