Emma's Medical Thread

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:22 pm

Emma lost a bit of weight & was having obvious eating problems over the last 3 days. Vet today - they're going to put her under & look at her teeth tomorrow. Do some pigs do well after filing? When daughter searched for malocclusion all she found was bad outcomes. How about elongated roots? Gracie died because she had elongated roots & the vet said he couldn't do anything about them.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:25 pm

The only treatment for elongated roots is repeated planing of the molars. And pigs can only stand so many administrations of anesthesia, so the prognosis isn't good.

But how well the pig does depends on why the teeth needed to be filed in the first place. A temporary condition, such as an overgrowth of the molars because the pig hasn't had proper food, can be completely cleared up by planing.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:12 am

Thanks bpatters. Apparently the vet said the prognosis was poor.

She's only 3 and has nothing else wrong with her. It'll be a shame to lose her so soon.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:08 am

I think the skill of the vet regarding dental procedures has a lot to do with its success.

"And pigs can only stand so many administrations of anesthesia..."
I am guessing risks to the administration of anesthesia have a great deal to do with overall health and heart health, along with the skill of the vet in administering and monitoring the anesthesia. I do not recall losing guinea pigs during dental procedures by an experienced vet unless they are medically compromised.

I would not give up yet! Do get an xray to help evaluate what is going on - and maybe a second opinion.

I believe with elongated roots, the goal is to over-plane the molars to take some of the pressure off the teeth so they are not pushed into the bone as much. Pinta could elaborate.
https://www.guinealynx.info/elongated_roots.html

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:39 pm

Good news. The vet just called & things went well. Her molars were a little overgrown & her tongue was a bit entrapped. So he planed her teeth. Said there were no diseased teeth & we'll watch her for any more problems. And keep our fingers crossed. He didn't think an xray at this point would yield any useful information.

I did look at the vet suggestions here & there is a another vet in StL who is listed. The person who posted it went to him for a pig with teeth probs & sang his praises. He's still there, so if at some point we want a 2nd opinion, that's where we'll go. We've had uniformly good treatment with our current vets. The vet who worked on Emma today has been practicing since 1991 and is the chief of staff. Most or all of the vets are cavy savy.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:44 pm

Wrong thread, but I'm just going to post this here:

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:30 pm

I just added this song to a playlist a week or two ago. Sting's version too.

It is a poignant song.

I hope Emma responds well to the dental work today! I am glad you have an experienced vet.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:51 pm

Emma was accepting cc & pooping earlier. Now she won't chew what's in her mouth and has stopped pooping. What to do.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:10 am

Did the vet send any pain meds for her? She must be uncomfortable if she's not chewing, maybe a sore spot somewhere. If you make the CC more watery, do you think she might try taking it? She wouldn't have to chew so much.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:12 am

She was given painkiller before she left the vet. We ended up taking her to the emergence vet (which will no longer treat gp's & I don't think there are others that will see pigs in the metro area). They said her temp was too low & she needed reglan, but they didn't want to give the reglan until they'd warmed her up (with fluids). And at some point she needed more CC. They said both the buprenorphine and the anesthetic could cause the temp. problem. We left her there overnight, but she died at 2:30am.

Thank you all for your support.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:32 am

I'm so sorry, Bookfan.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:21 pm

Oh, no! I am so sorry you lost her. I did not expect her to take a turn for the worse. You have all my sympathy.