Anorexic behavior

Ictus123

Post   » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:52 pm

I got my 5 1/2 year old male, Tommy, from a rescue six months ago. They stated he was 5; and that the last owner stated he ate only lettuce and celery which he did when I got him [!] but slowly came around to picky eating of pellets, Timothy and orchard grass; carrots, dry vitamin supplement. He's moves gracefully, looks healthy, eyes bright but one a little bulgy. No breathing issues. I take him out of his nest several times a day. Lives in a tray separated from my other 5 y.o. male by plexiglass as they are not compatible. I put their food at the plexiglass and they socialize eating there on opposite sides. Always a picky eater, Tommy stopped eating a week ago; I started syringing him Critical Care formula by weight. He started eating two days later. And then went through the same cycle and started eating on his own this morning--only this morning. Back to CC this evening, which he eagerly consumes from syring. His weight is slowly diminishing. Up to 12 kg in July. Now below 10 kg. My inclination is to continue with CC when he becomes abstemious. And let nature take her course though this slow spiral downward. Probiotics? Any suggestions?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:26 pm

There's a mistake in your weights. 10 kg. is 22 pounds, the weight of a human toddler.

What vitamin supplement does he get? He may need more vitamin C.

Have you had him examined by a vet with rodent dental experience?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:41 pm

Ditto bpatters. It sounds like you do not know what is wrong and are trying to keep him alive (important) when finding out what is causing his weight loss is even more important. Teeth would be a good place to start but there are other causes too.
https://www.guinealynx.info/malocclusion.html

Ictus123

Post   » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:27 am

Sorry about weight. I'm used to weight in grams. Tommy's range for last six months from 1207 to present 990g. His teeth are fine in front. But yes, rear teeth--? He did eat some lettuce today. Until these anorexic episodes he was eagerly taking half tab twice daily of Oxbow Natural Science Vitamin C pellets as well as Oxbox Adult Guinea Pig Food. I will get him to vet. Meanwhile he eagerly takes Critical Care from my syringing. Thanks for your comments and encouragement.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:48 pm

Do let us know what the vet thinks. It can be so helpful to rule out various issues. I hope his appetite improves.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:20 am

When my first guinea pig became ill and couldn’t eat, I bought a Ninja smoothie blender and made smoothies with hay, pellets, a little carrot, and water. She ate it on her own, which was much easier than syringe feeding. I also minced hay, carrot, and corn husk or grass so it was like a very fine shredded cole slaw texture and she ate that as well.

That might be an option to help yours maintain his weight until the vet sees him. I hope he improves.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:20 pm

Please be sure you take him to a vet with guinea pig (exotics) capability. The vast majority of standard dog-cat vets know nothing about guinea pigs, hamsters, large birds, rabbits etc.

https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=267

Scroll about 2/3 down for NYC.

Do you drive? If so, here's Jersey too:

https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=265

Good luck and please keep us posted.