Protozoa in Bladder/Urine and Metronidazole

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:45 pm

Continue to weigh daily, you can syringe water or wet/soak hay (remove uneaten wet hay before mold develops) and/or wet vegs to increase hydration if you think that is an issue.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:05 am

If you can, give her cucumbers with the rest of her veggies. They have a lot of water in them (96% water) and can help keep her hydrated if you are concerned about her water intake.

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:05 pm

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I have been giving her plenty of watery veggies and she has still been drinking a lot on her own. I have seen some collections of small poops, but she looks a little "poofier" and has gained some weight since starting this medicine. Now part of that might be that I have been feeding her a little extra veggies but I hope there is not poop or something building up in there from her digestion being messed with by the medicine. Will probably call my vet today to ask.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:15 pm

Not a bad call to make. Especially since she had such a bad reaction to Baytril, the metronidazole may be bothering her a very, very small amount; not enough to stop it, but no harm in asking the vet.

Let us know what the vet says, and continuing best wishes. You're doing all the right things.

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:38 am

Thank you for the best wishes and replies.
I talked to my vet the other day who advised I still continue it. Things seem to be stabilizing a bit with Margaret as far as what I mentioned last time.
Her weight has gone back down to its normal level (~1020g) from where it was up to a high of 1061g two days ago (and that was gained within like a day or two of starting the medicine on Tuesday).

She is pooping a lot more and acting normally (drinking, eating, wheeking, etc). The poops are also no longer small. If anything it seems like they are just slightly longer (not clumped, just slightly longer) and slightly lighter brown than I remember pre-medicine. Not sure how else to describe it or if that is an indicator of any other problems.

She has a few more days on the medicine. Of course I hope her weight and poops stay stable. I think my biggest concern now would be it possibly swinging the other way into losing weight, but we'll see.

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:51 pm

Second to last day of her treatment. I am getting slightly concerned about fluctuations in her weight.
Her normal weight fluctuated between 1000g and 1040g so maybe it isn't a big deal.
Still seems to be eating and acting normally though.

1/19 morning 1026g (one day after starting medicine)
1/19 night 1044g
1/20 morning 1050g
1/20 night 1062g
1/21 morning 1067g
1/21 night 1053g
1/22 morning 1048g
1/22 night 1023g
1/23 night 1009g
1/24 morning 998g

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:36 pm

There can be differences for a variety of reasons. Since you are not seeing an alarming drop in weight, I would just continue to monitor her.

Losing weight is the most serious issue - and she is looking okay (within your normal weight description).

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:25 pm

Happy to say that Margaret's treatment is finished as of today. Her weight seems to be stabilizing (she was 1012g this morning) and acting normal.

The only lingering side effect I've noticed which I have not been able to figure out is the appearance of her poops. They are not small, clumped, or anything I have seen on the usual warning signs. But I have noticed some of them have what looks like a distinct "seam" on them, and some are split a little (like a hot dog bun almost). I have not been able to find any info on this so far. They are also slightly more textured and lighter brown than I remember (I remember them being very dark brown before). Maybe this will go away now that she is not actively on the medicine anymore?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:36 pm

Poops are an interesting subject! We had one member who collected tons of photos of poops. I recall some looking as you describe. Not sure of what (if anything) the fold means but I expect food changes, health changes, and medication changes all play a part.

If you are interested in wading into the poop topic, here you go!
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... =8&t=68360

p.s. a dark colored poop with a fold in it appears on the first page (there are 11 pages!), identified as a healthy poop.

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:47 am

Thanks for the link!

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:35 pm

Noticed a lot of poops today but otherwise normal activity. I did want to post a picture of her poops for any feedback-- they do look different from before I started the treatment. Aside from some of them having the "fold" mentioned before, a lot of them have this lighter color and kind of "textured" looking appearance for lack of a better word. They are normal side and not particularly soft or anything so maybe it isn't a problem, but it does seem to be a slightly larger quantity than before and this different appearance.

(I noticed a potentially similar textured poop in the poop thread but didn't see any resolution on it from the time-- hoping it goes away as she gets further from her last dose (?))

https://imgur.com/a/sHQxUve

^example

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:55 pm

Poop appearance depends a lot on what a pig is eating. Dark green hay produces dark poop, lighter hay or lots of light veggies produces light poop. As long as it's firm and well-shaped, I don't think the color matters much.