Cystitis diagnosis - help!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:32 am

p.s. a picture may still help us. If you wish to email a clear copy to me, I can crop and resize it and put it up so viewing is controlled (using show/hide tags).

flean

Post   » Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:32 am

We've been back to the vet this morning as her bum was so swollen and ulcerated that she needed help to expel her poop :( :( :(

Vet has suggested propanolamine, which is not something she's given to guinea pigs before (although she has to rabbits) - apparently a dog specific medication that helps restrict urine leaking. Her sense is that we need to stop the urine leaking out to prevent this level of pain. If the meds don't work, she said that "we will need to have a conversation"... She said antibiotics wouldn't help as the sulfradine cream is doing that job (and the ulceration is miraculously not infected) so I've obviously been doing well at keeping her clean. She's on a 0.8ml dose of 0.5mg/ml metacam once a day (which I know is high, especially as she only weighs 845g poor skinny girl), vet said I could do it twice a day and that there was another painkiller we could also add (gabapentin maybe?).

Hawkes is still super lively and energetic, eating loads, albeit her tummy is very bald from barbering and obviously her bum is very sore. I have no clue what to do. It feels wrong to put down a guinea pig just because her bum is sore???

@Lynx I've sent Monday's pic... Pretty gross.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:49 am

Here you go! I am using "show/hide" tags so people can select to view the pictures. They will help us get an idea of the problem.
p.s. you may think they are bad but we've seen worse.
[SHOW]

NOTE: HERE IS A PICTURE FROM EARLIER THIS YEAR:

flean

Post   » Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:31 am

Thank you!

She is no better with the propalin. She is not her normal self either. I don't know whether to stop the propalin and just manage her bum as I have been? Or is it kinder to let her go? She's not yet 5 but I hate the thought she's in so much pain.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:27 am

In rereading this page, it looks like she has not been given oral antibiotics. I can't help but think it would be wise to try an oral antibiotic like trimethoprim sulfamethoxizole which is generally well tolerated to see if it makes any sort of difference). Is she still on metacam? (pain medication)

I noticed some years back that giving oral antibiotics, the antibiotic seemed to pass through the urine and had the effect of making an odorous bum much better smelling (do you notice any odor right now?).

I hate the thought she is in so much pain too.

flean

Post   » Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:32 am

She has had several courses of oral antibiotics. She's now lost 50g in a day despite my best efforts in syringe feeding with critical care. I'm taking her for a quality of life check this morning.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:58 am

I am so sorry you have not been able to get this to heal. I will be thinking of you.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:06 am

I'm keeping you both in my thoughts. You have tried so hard to help her get better.

flean

Post   » Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:04 pm

Sadly Hawkes ran over the rainbow bridge in Monday (26 Sept). I'm still not sure if I did the right thing but she was in such pain and I couldn't help her. Her sister is doing well and not pining, I'm aware that she'll be better living with another piggy but I'm not making any decisions just yet. I asked for her ashes in an individual cremation and will have a memorial for her. The best piggy, out of pain.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:11 pm

I am so sorry. It sounded like she was having such a difficult time. And as hard as this is, I understand how grateful you are she is no longer in pain.

You have all our sympathy.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:02 pm

Oh, I am so sorry. You really did do everything possible to try to help her to get better. Sadly, sometimes it's just too much for their little bodies when they have multiple issues going on. I have experienced that myself too many times over the years.

Please take good care.

Lisa12

Post   » Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:34 am

I am very sorry for your loss:,(.