Jet and Joan

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:11 am

I am guessing it will depend on their personalities how well three boys would get along together. Would definitely go for the bigger cage.

Lisa12

Post   » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:01 am

Can you post a photo of the family, please:)

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:07 am

Can you post a photo of the family, please

I live alone and they are very skittish but I will try.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:17 pm

If you can get 3 boars to get along, I applaud you. I'm sure it's not impossible or unprecedented. It's just not very common and most of us wouldn't recommend it unless they've been together since birth. Knowing my boars, I would suggest plenty of everything to go around; space, food, hiding places, etc. Keep them clear of the girls too.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:31 pm

If you can get 3 boars to get along, I applaud you

I couldn't even get Jaffa, Jill and Jupiter to get a long and they were sisters!

Jack, Jock, Justine are 2 weeks today, they are starting to chatter/rattle at their mum. I know they become sexually active at 21 days or 3 weeks. I was planning to separate at 18 days. Is this leaving it to close? I don't want more pups have had no luck finding homes for the 3 I have. Advice appreciate.

Lisa12 my counselor comes tomorrow will get pictures of them then. I just can't get them to stay still. It is like a 6 person job! Thanks guys.

Before I am off, once Jet had her boys her fur grew back. So not fungal but hormonal! Still a bit thin on tummy guess that's because once in a blue moon now she nurses them. But mainly eating on their own!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:52 pm

Glad things are improving. Separating at 18 days should be fine. Because they have each other, the boys should be able to manage the separation okay. You probably need to get a top for their cage so they can't get out and cause problems.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:34 pm

If the cages are next to each other, put a top on the girl's cage. A determined male can push up the lid on his own cage, but can't lift the lid on another one.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:22 am

If you have 3 boys who are brothers and have been together since birth, there's a chance that they'll be a good trio. I'm not understanding what you are saying about keeping the 3 boys. Is it possible that you would be able to keep them if they became a trio? It's a real predicament having an odd number of boys for sure. It was very easy for me because Buttercup had 2 of each and I literally had to do nothing but put her son's in another cage. My setup allows me to keep the girls safe from unauthorized breeding. My cages are stacked 2 high on the stands I built and set on cubicle cabinets high enough to keep them safe from the other pets

This is how I have my cages arranged. On the bottom right is the girls, Buttercup and Muffin. Above them is Mr. Bubbles. Next to them is Dean and above him, Gilligan and Skipper. The other two pairs of boars; Wilber and Grady (bottom), and Kahlua and Jack (top) are on the left. As you can see, there's no way for any boars to get to them because the only way into their cage is from the front. They're also mostly surrounded by single boars. The closest pair of boars is far enough away with plenty of barrier to keep them from sensing the girls and arguing over them. You can also see how high up they are to keep them safe and the storage space I have in those 4 chamber cabinets.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:37 am

That's a nice setup, Renonvsparky!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:20 am

I'm not understanding what you are saying about keeping the 3 boys

Have not found anyone interested in having them. I am afraid of people looking for reptile food too. Even is the threesome fails and they have to live alone I guess I will be keeping them all. Only 2 weeks old and fallen in love! Thanks guy's. Cages will be either wooden or wire with a lid! Have to buy wire to go around and little blighters could squeeze through the gaps!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:23 am

I understood with boys the bigger the cage more likely they would get on? I have heard 3-4ft for each male piggy. 3ft each didn't work for Jaffa, Jill, Jupiter so maybe need more room? Three of everything and hidey places. Thanks again!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:21 pm

I'm glad you are going to keep them. I totally get it about finding them homes. I fully intended to keep only one of the girls so that Buttercup could have a companion and re-home the other 3. It only took until they were old enough for me to hold them (about a week, not including getting them out to change their bedding) for me to fall in love with them and decide to keep them all. I think they knew that and used their cuteness to change my mind.