grease gland? Waxy behind

cindy29

Post   » Fri May 10, 2002 4:36 pm

I have a male piggy and he has always had a yellow and black greasy spot on his behind ( where a tail would be). I was bathing him regularly to clean it. It seemed to get better but never gone. It is a lot bigger now and there is some hair loss. I have never been able to find much on this grease gland and if that is were it is and is this normal or is there something else going on. would love any info/advice.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri May 10, 2002 4:50 pm

Some boars seem to have active grease glands. It is normal to have some oilyness and you wouldn´t want to remove all the oil/grease. If it builds up, I understand a degreaser similar to what mechanics use to dissolve oils will work. Be sure to use one that is not abrasive.

Good luck.

Sunny

Post   » Fri May 10, 2002 5:05 pm

My boys both have active grease glands. Yep, right there where the tail would be. The grease is mild, and doesn´t get on my clothes or towels but I can definitely feel it.

I wonder if washing it frequently is stimulating the gland to produce more grease? (I´m guessing, I have no actual training or experience with this). The hairloss seems strange though. That doesn´t seem normal. Is this the only place he has hair loss?

cindy29

Post   » Fri May 10, 2002 5:13 pm

No other hair loss or problems. I have not been bathing him I read you dont need to somewhere so I stopped about 4 months ago.

Sunny

Post   » Fri May 10, 2002 6:53 pm

But he still has the yellow and black spot? Is his fur white? My pigs both have dark rumps so I can´t tell what color the grease is.

Hairloss could be due to some other problem. Mites maybe?

ladyveg

Post   » Fri May 10, 2002 8:49 pm

In some of the boars that I get in, the waxy spot is black simply because that wax/grease holds on to dirt. And sometimes it´s so gunked up there is a bald spot there. What has worked for me when I get boars like that--I dunk their behinds in warm water, then take them out of the water, then take a palmful of baby oil and rub it in where the grease is. I then use a flea comb and my fingernails and basically comb/pick the wax off. Clumps of hair do come out with the wax sometimes, I think it´s dead hair that just got stuck. Sometimes I need to add more baby oil. Then when I think I´ve got it all, I dunk his butt again, take him back out of the water, shampoo his behind and rinse really well. The butt will stay oily for a week or so, that´s okay...it will all grow out.

----

By the way, this task is as gross as it sounds. Way better than picking maggots out of a rabbit´s anus. Don´t ask.
Last edited by ladyveg on Fri May 10, 2002 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Fri May 10, 2002 11:46 pm

I have to ask!

Dobby
I gave what I could!

Post   » Sat May 11, 2002 7:34 am

Me,too Ladyveg. You can´t say something like that and NOT tell the story.
Maggots out of a rabbit´s bum? Ick.