Baytril (enrofloxacin) Primer

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:31 pm

Augmentin is amoxicillin plus potassium clavulanate, and it works for my ear infections.

Seffy, do you think you were on Biaxin?

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:47 pm

Bactrim is given for human UTI's. In fact, I take it as a prophylactic when needed for my infections.

Evangeline

Post   » Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:21 pm

Clavamox is actually Augmentin or amoxicillin with potassium added if memory serves me correctly

Exactly my point. Amoxicillin is Penicillin-based. And so are the other ABs ending in "cillin".

TexCavy

Post   » Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:58 am

Is there anything in baytril ear drops besides baytril?

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:44 am

The first vet I ever went to prescribed injectible Baytril for 2 of my pigs. Both got severe diarrhea, one died the other had to be put to sleep after various complications because of it. This prompted me to find out more about pigs myself and also find another vet, although they are probably still carrying on as before.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:04 am

What was wrong with them? What was his diagnosis? Do you know how much baytril they were given? Are you positive it was baytril and not amoxicillin? Just curious, as generally baytril does not cause severe diarrhea. If it was given in too large amounts it might but also, injected would have less effect.

Without all the facts, it's hard to know if the baytril was at fault or not. I'm sorry you lost them. I think it's important to learn all you can so you can recognize a good vet when you find one.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:33 pm

This was a few years back and my memory may fail me here as I used to keep all the info in a diary but I'm sure I threw it out after the pigs died and I got a new vet. Perhaps not very bright but it was how I felt at the time.

Pig 1 - biggest nightmare and biggest disappointment in UK vet care! (Large practice, reputedly 'best in town' - yeah, right).
Scooter was originally taken to the vet with bloat/gas. I didn't know as much then as I do now so had no simethicone or anything to catch it in time (or internet access either for that matter!). The first vet I saw was more interested in discussing the previous client with her students that were there at the time. She said this will 'flush it out' and gave Scooter an injection (not sure what it was - didn't get any answer at the time). The gp had diarrhea so altered food accordingly and the bloat went.

A few days later, back for a check up and also to see about Scooter's poorer appetite, saw a different vet who decided an injection of Baytril should clear up any lingering problem - how she came to this diagnosis I've no idea - and also decided to trim Scooter's teeth as she said it may contribute to the appetite problem. Instant diarrhea and very weak pig who could not feed herself now as her incisors were trimmed.

Feeling way out my depth now but I knew enough to hand feed her mushed pellet mix and veggies and little bits of hay. A few days later, back for another check up, Scooter seemed to be picking up, poops better and a little stronger. A third vet who is looking through a large medical book says ' I'm not really that familiar with guinea pigs, but the Baytril seemed to do the trick last time, we'll give it one more shot'.

More diarrhea, can't get it cleared up so went back to vet. Saw vet no.2 again who gave another shot of Baytril. Scooter went downhill fast. Couldn't clear the diarrhea and this time Scooter gave up. Refused to eat and became like a rag.

Last appointment for a check up was to put her to sleep as she had become paralysed in her back end. Guess what - a fourth vet who I guess had never euthanaised an animal before and seemed more traumatised by it than I was. Perhaps the Baytril didn't kill Scooter as much as misdiagnosis but I think the dose must have had something to do with it - sorry no figures. And also 4 different vets in 5 visits in 10 days saw no continuity in her treatment (in my opinion).

Pig 2
Miss P had suspected cystitis (squeaking while peeing etc). Saw vet (sorry, same practice) who decided Baytril was best course of action. After telling her the nightmare with Scooter and suggesting that as Miss P was a full sister, the Baytril may not agree with her, I got told not to be silly and that Baytril was the only one safe for gps anyway so didn't really have a choice. One injection later, got home, one very unhappy pig, diarrhea and loss of appetite.

Did what I had done with Scooter re handfeeding and a few days later, back for a check up. Surprise surprise, different vet - same Baytril jab. Really bad diarrhea, nursed Miss P for a few days and was looking into getting a new vet. Poor Miss P died overnight.

It was definitely Baytril they were given as I had a fear of it when I had Dusty and she was diagnosed with a URI and they said Baytril and I said NO! But my new vet gave it in oral form as a week's course and a little syringe and there was no problem at all.

So, new vet, new pigs, lots more information!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:40 pm

Somehow I don't think they were giving baytril (or it was a very very high dose). In all the time I've been here, I don't remember baytril causing immediate and severe diarrhea. I think they gave something else (or at least gave the wrong dosage).

But it certainly seems like they screwed up badly. It must have been a terribly sad time for you.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:50 pm

Just to backtrack slightly, I managed to find a copy of my original piggy vet notes copied into a later diary, sorry still no doses.

To correct earlier, the reason for the vet visit with Scooter was lack of appetite and bloat.

1st vet trip (26th) gave 'flushing out' jab and vitamin jab.

2nd trip (30th) was not Baytril but steroid jab to stimulate appetite.

3rd & 4th trip (31st & 3rd) were definitely Baytril jabs. (4th trip was vet who had the book open while I was there).

5th trip (5th) was final jab in stomach - euthanised.

The practice did have 2 piggy vets but one went to live in Norway and the other was often rushed into surgery as she was an expert in emergency cases so even if my appointment was with her, and she was called in to surgery, I got 'whoever'. By the time Miss P died this vet had already left on maternity leave.
It may have been a sensitivity to it in my pigs but I've always felt it was just too heavy a dose. Nobody ever asked about or weighed the pigs, if that should make a difference.

If I knew then what I know now these pigs would have lived more than 2 years. Hindsight is such a wonderful thing!!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:17 pm

It sounds like they did not treat immediately and the baytril may have been too late (that the diarrhea was on its way). The lack of appetite and bloat may have been a bacterial intestinal infection that went untreated and you saw the results of improper treatment for the first 5 days. And the baytril may have been just too late.

TexCavy

Post   » Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:52 pm

Does anyone know the answer to my question? Is it the same as the oral medicine?

Seffy

Post   » Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:38 pm

Baytril Otic (comes in a pink/white dropper bottle) also contains silver sulfadiazine which is an anti fungal if memory serves.

It was fun reading my old posts here. My dog is nicely cleared up and staying that way with bottled water and C/D food, and yes Salana that may have been what I was taking. It was a wonder drug at the time!