Advantage (imidacloprid) for Lice

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:58 pm

UPDATE:

Bayer is planning to release imidacloprid (Advantage) with moxidectin added this year. From what I've found, they will be calling it Advocate in the US. It has been available in Canada for some time as Advantage Multi.

They are marketing it aggressively against the superproduct Revolution (selamectin), since it prevents heartworm disease, sarcoptic mange, etc. as does this new product. Please use great caution as moxidectin has been implicated in many toxicities in the past in other species and was pulled off the shelves as ProHeart6 (the injectable heartworm prevention for dogs) a few years back.

If you will be using imidacloprid for lice in cavies, please make sure you have the PLAIN Advantage and not the new product.

Bayer Website Press Release

GL Alert Thread '07

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:28 pm

For those in the UK.

Advantage 40 is the one to use, it contains imidacloprid.

NOT Advocate - this also contains moxidectin and
NOT Advantix - this also contains permethrin,
NOT Xenex - this contains only permethrin.

rshevin

Post   » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:16 pm

For those in the US, the new product is being marketed as AdvantageMulti, the same as in Canada.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:13 pm

Another update, Bayer has updated their products with the addition of an IGR called pyriproxyfen.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/he ... -pets.aspx

At this point, since Advantage is no longer plain imidicloprid, and until further studies are done with pyriproxyfen in small animals, I NO LONGER RECOMMEND ADVANTAGE used in this way for lice. There are other, more reliable products, and ivermectin's safety record endures the test of time.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:04 pm

What's an IGR?

Edit: I apologize to Jo and Lynx -- we're not supposed to actually post on threads in here. I'm sorry. Lynx, please delete if appropriate.