Mange and Severe Pododermatitis

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:57 pm

I know, I'm going to have to keep a close eye on it. I tried to fix the older pics, but I have no idea why they were so blurry compared to this one. Same camera, same shooter. I'm pleased this one is better than the last pics.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:05 pm

It's a great pic. We should also make up a thread just on this guy in the med forum. I could stick the pertinent pics here (assuming that's okay with the photographers). I think it's important to document abuse. This is the little pig that was in a school, no? A real case in point.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:20 pm

I know, but I didn't want to start another thread! Perhaps I will have time this weekend to document his story thus far and I could post updates there. I think the photographer will consent. It's my baby sister (who's 18).

leebee

Post   » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:50 pm

Wow. I am continually amazed! You are so awesome, S.

Give that boy a kiss from me, and tell him he'd better stick it out. We're 1 for 3 on bumblefoot pigs right now.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:51 pm

I know, I just read about poor Nelson. I'll do my best.

Electra

Post   » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:39 pm

What a difference in his feet. I'm glad to hear he is progressing.

luvmypigs2

Post   » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:59 pm

How is Rhett doing?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:09 am

Boy, it HAS been some time since I've updated. It's been so cold today I've spent it all in front of the dryer and fire! He needs his own thread.

Rhett is doing very well. Up to 1020 grams! He's grown most of his hair back in his rump but is barbering his sides for some reason. He's still in a separate cage, but I put him in the same room as the other pigs. He seems to like that. I'm sure he gets something out of the scents and sounds of the other pigs. I just don't trust he's not contagious still. Otherwise he'd be paired with my boar by now.

He still needs his pouch emptied once or twice a day--he will need this forever unless he has a scrotal-plasty! Lots of poops is a good sign. His foot seems to be shrinking a bit. I don't expect it to be normal ever, but there is healthy tissue on it and the skin is as healed as it will ever be. One ear margin is changing color. I'm wondering if I shouldn't put him on heart meds. I've hedged the topic so many times on him.

luvmypigs2

Post   » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:38 am

That's great news! Thanks for the update! I've been thinking about him and was wondering how he was doing. Go Rhett!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:45 am

Thanks for the update! I'm looking forward to him being with a companion too.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:36 pm

Bless you for caring for him, and saving his foot.

tcarey
The Zen of Pigs

Post   » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:05 pm

This is the first time I've read this thread. I am so amazed at Rhett's plight and recovery - thank you Josephine and Leebee for saving and caring for this indefatigable pig.