Mange and Severe Pododermatitis

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:05 pm

Goodness. I euthanized Arthur after struggling with the same problem for a while. His stone was in the bladder, however, and would work its way into settling into the bladder horn and preventing urination.

I could shift its position with massage, lots of fluids, and putting him on the washing machine in "spin" cycle in a container.

But after a while, it was obvious he was in terrible pain and I shouldn't keep up bugging him. We thought it was probably multiple stones, and my vet was really surprised upon necropsy to find only one:

luvmypigs2

Post   » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:00 pm

How's Rhett doing?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:51 pm

He's gone. I haven't been home long. We stayed several hours past closing to work on him. I never recovered him from the operating table.

We found a huge abdominal mass we originally thought was the bladder. It was connected to the mesentery, GIT, and possibly urinary tract.

We couldn't get the possible urinary stone out of the urethra. We tried passing multiple catheters from the bladder to the prepucial oriface and the other way around. His urethra was probably ruptured in the process.

The vet and I didn't see how he could possibly recover well and be able to urinate or urinate without the pain he'd been having at least all day. Anti-inflammatories can only do so much.

I sent the urinary tract (from the bladder to the penis) and the mass out for histo. There are so many unanswered questions.

I miss my Rhetty boy. He turned into a great snuggle pig. He had been through so much and turned into the most social, endearing little thing. Such a chow hound, too. He was always looking for more treats and loved getting in the carrier to travel since it meant more VEGGIES!

I'm exhausted both mentally and physically. He was such a special boy. Thank you Leah and Sharon for sending him to me. He had some good months after that foot healed up. He would have doubtless been euthanized in the shelter in January if you hadn't pulled him.

His cagemate Ciel is alone (YET AGAIN). He's a 6 1/2 year old INTACT boar. If he gets another cagemate I guess it has to be a neutered boy unless I neuter him and throw him in with some girls. We'll see. :(

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:55 pm

I just looked at his first pictures again. They're making me cry, but man did he come a long way. He looked so much better than that.

luvmypigs2

Post   » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:23 am

I'm so sorry you lost him. He was a special little guy. I'm so glad he found his way to you and your excellent care. You gave him a good life and love that he never knew before. Rest in peace little one.

JHand
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:53 am

Ditto what Lumvypigs said. Thank you for giving him the care he deserved. You were his angle.

Piggster

Post   » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:38 am

I'm so, so sorry to hear this. Rhett was a very special boy. I got to meet Rhett once and he was everything that Josephine said he was, a very sweet, snuggly, social boy.

Josephine thanks so much for caring for him and rehabilitating him the way you did. leebee, thanks for pulling him from the shelter and saving his life and soaking that poor foot.

I'm sitting hear crying too. My heart goes out to all those who cared enough in order to give him eight wonderful months where he knew great care and love probably for the first time in his life.

lisam

Post   » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:21 am

I'm so sorry. I'm glad that his last months were with you.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:58 am

I am so very sorry, Josephine. Life with you had become a good life. It sounds like he was loved and will be missed. I'm so sad.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:49 pm

Josephine, bless you and thank you for caring for him so well. He could not have had a better, more knowledgeable, or more competent caretaker than you.

Remember how far he came with you, and how much better he got.

Godspeed and safe passage, Rhett.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:18 pm

I'm sorry to hear.

Pooka and Pixie

Post   » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:34 pm

I'm so sorry. Rest in peace, Rhett. And keep your chin up, Ciel.