Introduction not going well

Amy

Post   » Wed Feb 12, 2003 3:48 pm

they have been in the bathtub twice already and i don't think they are uncomfortable anymore, i will try holding them together tonight. mounting is ok even when cali was the submissive one and has been since they were introduced? i am really clueless on what constitutes working it out...help?

Tammy

Post   » Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:07 pm

just make sure there's no bloodshed.

i find myself amuzed when i finally figured out the right combo of cagemates for my boys... the 2 dominant ones became the best of buds!

Amy

Post   » Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:13 pm

how do you know they are buds? what shows that the dominance thing isn't an issue anymore? i want to know when i can put them in the cage together for good.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:18 pm

Hey Amy! Im an Amy too!

Ok, I had alot of trouble introducing Roxie and PIggie. They were always lunging on eac other and biting and so forth. Introduction did succeed eventually. I found this article very helpful:
http://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm

Theres part of it telling you what is ok fighting and what is not.
Its really scary to watch them go at it but if you look closely, when they lung at each other, they jump apart within 3 seconds. THat pretty much told me that they dont have an intention to hurt each other, just trying to scare the opponent. To be honest, this whole process took a long time. It was about 5 hrs before they stop lunging at each other.
So pick an afternoon where you can give alot of time to supervise them. After 5 hrs, I did put them in a big cage. They still chattered and so forth but it pretty much died down by night time. The two original ones juts pretty much ignored Roxie, the new one.

Tammy

Post   » Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:20 pm

they eat together and lay right next to each other without a fuss... or else they just mind their own business. it's best to have 2 food bowls so they each can have their own but the big 5 inch bowl i got for them was enough.

they will of course have their diva days but it usually just a chatter and rumblestrut but nothing else.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:23 pm

BTW, Im not totally sure if a bathtub is a good idea. No option to hide if thy wanted to. And a little small..
They DO pee sometimes so you may not want them on the carpet of the living room. I used the biggest bathroom in the house. They have a place to run away to if they wanted to.

Sorry, I took a closer read at your postings. I know I didnt do the most proper intro but when they stopped lunging and nibbling, I did put them into their cage (clean bedding, food dish, etc). They did chase each other and mount each other a little. It eventually died down.

Amy

Post   » Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:33 pm

ok, so its maybe a good idea to keep them in the cage at this point because the chasing and mounting is going on and a bit of nipping but if i waited for that to stop...it would be forever before i could put them in the cage.

i have had them on the floor before (they both pee in the same area i have set up for them) and it just gave cali more a chance to run away and oreo would get pissed and eventually lunge at her because she wouldn't sit still for oreo to sniff her.

Tammy

Post   » Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:57 pm

the bigger the cage the better. so they can each get their own personal area. also, give each their own hiding house/nest/cozy.

Amy

Post   » Wed Feb 12, 2003 5:02 pm

they both have their own igloos and bowls and water bottles, but oreo really doesn't care...if that is what cali is eating out of, she wants in to, the two houses is nice to have though. ok, well i guess i'll put them in the cage then.

i've already taken days where i watch them for five hours at a time like yesterday and it didn't completely stop then i'm getting a bit concerned that most say they can solve their issues within one day of being together.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:40 pm

From how you're describing it, I think theyre doing ok. Piggie (alpha pig) will still constantly remind the other two whos boss. She takes Roxies food even though she has her own. She goes into the pigloo that the other two are in and pushes them out. Shes always been really pushy towards them. Guess she just wants to make sure everyone understands that shes the big alpha pig.

Tammy

Post   » Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:47 pm

Rosie is just too cute! she's got that "i didn't do it" look...

Amy

Post   » Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:20 pm

Well when i left them overnight for the first time, something big did happen because now it seems that Cali is dominant, she is constantly shaking her backside and making that rumbling sound, running circles around oreo and oreo just takes it. they are finallly just in there together for good and i'm hoping they can live happily soon. thanks for all the advice.