Humane Society - eating grass question

Sunny

Post   » Sat Jun 08, 2002 5:19 pm

I´m posting this in Cavy Chat because this can relate to cavies too.

I am now volunteering at the Utah Humane Society and went for my orientation meeting today. It´s a wonderful facility with clean cages and an acre or two of lush grass for taking dogs for walks. They also have several fenced-in grass runs for letting the dogs run free and to play catch or whatever. It seems like a place where I could really make a difference.

One of the main jobs for volunteers is playing with cats and walking dogs. There was never any mention about letting the rabbits out for exercise (they didn´t have any Guinea pigs today, but this would apply to them too). There were over a dozen rabbits on site (post-Easter drop offs). She said they don´t ever take the rabbits out for exercise but they do hold them and pet them. Well one rabbit was 12 pounds and had been there for a month! So this bunny hasn´t had any exercise for a whole month!!

The staff was very friendly and flexible and told me I could take the rabbits outside to one of the fenced-in grass runs if I wanted. I didn´t think this was a good suggestion since this pen is used to run dogs. And the lush grass, which the rabbits would munch on, would be full of dog waste remains.

Here is what I´d like to do... buy some extra cubes and each week I could set up a run on the outside lawn (away from the fenced-in runs) and bring each of the rabbits out in turn to get a little exercise. My concerns:

1. I was told they don´t use pesticides on the lawn; however, dogs are walked here. It wouldn´t be as heavily used as the grass pens, but would probably still have dog waste residue in places. Is this a potential health threat for rabbits/pigs?

2. Can rabbits jump over the 14" cubes? If so, maybe I could bring an old sheet or something to cover it with. Would that work?

Any thoughts or advice appreciated.
Last edited by Sunny on Sat Jun 08, 2002 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 08, 2002 5:55 pm

Yes, the rabbits could jump 14". I would worry about the area and dog waste too.

I wonder if you could set something up that would be restricted from dog access.

Seems to me a good rabbit rescue board might be able to advise you on how much exercise is reasonable for a rabbit and what might work. I do think you have valid concerns.

lisam

Post   » Sat Jun 08, 2002 6:12 pm

I am a member of the House Rabbit Society. In a recent newsletter, there was an article about a rabbit rescue where they would block off the hallway for a time each day to let various groups of rabbits run in there. Is there somewhere like that in the building? They wouldn´t get the benefits of munching on grass, but rabbits love to run down hallways.

For more information on rabbits you could go to their website.

www.rabbit.org
Last edited by lisam on Sat Jun 08, 2002 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Evangeline

Post   » Sat Jun 08, 2002 7:46 pm

Good idea, lisam.

Sunny, yes rabbit can jump quite high. My rabbit is an adult, but he´s very small. Only 5 pounds. Yet, he can jump on my bed from a hault, from a wood floor that gives him very little traction. A 12lbs rabbit can clear 3 feet with no problem. Whatever kind of run you´ll build, it need a top. Also, do not carry rabbits outside to the pen. You have no idea how strong and hard to restrain they can be, even the very small ones. I suggest you bring them to the pen in a carrier, or with a well adjusted harness.

Maybe they could reserve an area for the pigs and stop walking dogs in that area?

Sunny

Post   » Sat Jun 08, 2002 8:08 pm

Thanks everyone, this is exactly the kind of information I needed. I´ll check out that website Lisam.

The facility has an "auditorium" (good sized room with chairs and tables) for orientation meetings, etc. I can´t imagine it would be used very often... Maybe they would let me close the doors and let them hop around in there. It´s a tiled floor which isn´t as fun as grass, but it sure beats being cage-bound. I could bring in some wheat grass flats for them to get the grass fix.

Do rabbits have the same temperment as pigs? I mean, do they fight? What other issues might arise from putting several rabbits together at the same time? I just don´t want to do something stupid.

Sunny

Post   » Sat Jun 08, 2002 8:16 pm

I just started reading the rabbit site and already read about the temperment issue. Sounds like I could put a few rabbits in neutral territory but to be armed with a water spray bottle and a towel to break up any fights.

If you think of anything else, let me know. Thanks again.

Evangeline

Post   » Sat Jun 08, 2002 8:39 pm

Rabbits are nothing like pigs. They usually have quite a temper and will let you know what they want. There is a page (I think there is a link off the HRS site) for body language. They really "speak" to you with their ears.

You could try putting them down for playtime by pairs, but don´t throw a whole bunch of them together or it will be a desaster. Also, when you put them on the floor, make sure to make their litter pan accessible.

I don´t know how much you know concerning rabbits and it sounds like the shelter doesn´t have a lot of time for them, so I thought that I´d make sure they have hay. They need grass hay just like pigs do. Many people don´t know that.

Un-neutered males and un-spayed females can become extremely aggressive, but most rabbits are sweet and fun. They have a lot of personality and I´m sure you´ll get a kick out of interacting with them. I give you a month before you fall in love with one and bring him home.

Are these buns neutered and spayed? If not, maybe you could print out the article on neutering and spaying from the HRS site for the shelter people. It is extremely important that they have this surgery to avoid behavior and health problems.

lisam

Post   » Sat Jun 08, 2002 8:43 pm

http://www.muridae.com/rabbits/rabbittalk.html

I think this is the one you are looking for, E.

Evangeline

Post   » Sat Jun 08, 2002 8:47 pm

Yup! Thanks.

pigpal

Post   » Sat Jun 08, 2002 11:00 pm

The volunteers at our shelter use the "Get Acquainted" rooms for exercising the rabbits (and now guinea pigs too) during those times when the shelter is closed to the public.

Sunny

Post   » Sun Jun 09, 2002 12:23 am

Oh, yes - they have those "get acquainted" rooms too. I could use them but they are much smaller, I´d say 6x4´ room. I´m going to push for the "auditorium" as it is a 20-30ft square room. Lots of room for exploring.

E. - every bun that comes in gets spayed/neutered immediately. Didn´t know about the hay, but noticed they didn´t have any. I know NOTHING about bunnies except for what I read tonight.

Thanks so much for the tips.

Evangeline

Post   » Sun Jun 09, 2002 5:51 pm

Ok. Nutrition is similar to pigs´. They need a constant supply of hay, quality rabbit pellets and veggies. For young rabbits, you can offer all the pellets he wants, but adults tend to get overweight, especially if they don´t get much exercice, so pellets are fed in smaller amounts.

Yes, they need hay constantly like pigs do. Their teeth grow and they need hay to wear them down.

Rabbits use litter pans just like cats do. It is important that they have a pan in their cage. This way, they are used to using it and will look for it during floortime. This also makes them a lot easier to adopt out.