Corn husks...

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 1:48 pm

So far from all I've read corn husks are the same nutritional value as grass since it's in the same family. As Lisam stated once, "grass on steroids". I don't believe anyone yet has stated a breakdown of fiber or ratios though of the corn husks, not that I've seen anyway.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 3:08 pm

Our stores have a bin next to the corn, so I dig thur it (ohh the looks I get) and pick up a lot of silks and husks. Then I bring home and soak in cold water to make sure they are well rinsed.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 3:11 pm

Lady Bug got a clean house this morning and is now happily munching away on the fresh corn husks I got from the waste bin today.

If I just gave her one leaf she'd riot! She adores corn husks.

xPiggiesx

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 3:26 pm

My piggies get corn husks whenever we have corn on the cob, my mom buys them in the husk specifically for the pigs. =) They love 'em.

DaCourt

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 3:45 pm

Chary looked on line but could not find any information on the breakdown. It would be interesting to find out.

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 3:56 pm

Last week when I was digging husks out of the husk bin at the grocery store, a woman approached me and said "oh, I see you're a composter". I had to explain that, no, I was simply foraging for free food for my guinea pigs. Cracked her up. The husks and silks are seriously like piggy crack to them. They'd be up in arms if I only tossed in one leaf.

EllieMom

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 4:23 pm

I'm always concerned that the silk presents a potential choking hazard (like celery). I'm probably cheating the poor little dears out of a much-needed taste treat. I mean, if the organic papaya, dill, and wheat grass don't fill the bill. Honestly, I spend more on veggies for my pigs than I do on my family. That's one thing I LOVE about summer--cheap pig food!

rshevin

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 4:25 pm

None of the stores here have clean husk bins so I just buy myself an ear of corn and give the husks and silks to the pigs. The silks are by FAR the treasured bits. I was afraid they would be dangerous, like strings, but when you actually feel them, they're soft and crunchy, not hard and stringy like I remembered. I usually give 2 leaves or so per pigs because I want them to last a few days. I like to feed them a lot and need to ask my parents to start saving them for me as they eat a lot of corn.

Baba

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 4:34 pm

My pigsters like their husks ripped in strips like spaghetti and mixed under their lettuce. They won't eat it them any other way - those picky piggies.

EllieMom

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 4:53 pm

I just did a Google search and found a little bit of information on the nutritional content of corn husks on this site Raising healthy rabbits under primitive conditions

According to that reference, corn husks contain 2.6% crude protein and 31.6% crude fiber. So, if I recall correctly, less protein than timothy hay but about the same amount of fiber.

Feylin

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 10:12 pm

You know, I was just wondering about husks. I too would be killed in my sleep if I only gave one or two at a time!

What about chemicals on them? The corn has to get sprayed for bugs and such. I always peel off the outside husks but I was wondering about the silks.

GuineaPiggin

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 11:27 pm

After reading all the replies, I dropped a small pile in with them after work today and they had a feast!

I had to explain that, no, I was simply foraging for free food for my guinea pigs. Cracked her up.
The produce lady I asked last night had quite a laugh as well when I asked her. She told me "Go ahead, take the whole bin. They're just going to toss it out in a couple hours anyway." I took a small handful (only 'cause I didn't know if my boys would like them...not to mention, what am I going to do with a 30gal bag full of husks). Next time I think I'll have to take more.

Thanks everyone! ^_^