Know you guinea pig, know your poo

emilyam19

Post   » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:17 pm

I really like the way Ech90 summarized her account. I started going through a few of the threads to make some mini summaries (organized like Ech's). The range of issues (suspected or proven) is huge. Some are never resolved. However, there are some common steps a lot of the threads take (ex: rule out veggies, rule out parasites, try something like bio sponge or bene-bac, switch hay and/or pellets).

wenton5

Post   » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:52 pm

Jacqueline, however you and Lynx want to do it. Everyone else want to put in their ideas for format?

wenton5

Post   » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:52 pm

Emilyam19, I like your idea too
Thx, L and the gang

jacqueline

Post   » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:02 pm

I'm willing to help however you all want to organize.

With all due respect, I must say I'm sitting here, 8 p.m on a Saturday night, watching re-runs of the Big Bang Theory and posting about how to organize guinea pig poo.

Makes me chuckle.

You can't make this stuff up!

jacqueline

Post   » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:07 pm

So, I'm lousy with chaos. I'm unclear about what the next step is here, and who'll be working on it (sorry, I'm anal that way).

Lynx?

emilyam19

Post   » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:07 pm

I'm doing pretty much the same thing (minus the tv). I left my collection of poop comparisons on a table upstairs after taking all the photos. I'm positive all of my brother's friends think I have some kind of OCD-like obsession with arranging pig poops in little lines (and after a year of trying to help Charlie maybe they're right).

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:11 pm

Right now I have some other projects I'm working on (like the calendar!). Unsure when I would have time to review all these pages! (perhaps a few days of rain?)

In my mind, the best info is to organize compactly. You put the main points first and then expand.

wenton5

Post   » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:08 pm

Okay Lynx, Emilyam19 and Jacqueline, I think Emilyam19 and I are getting close. I think we just need to figure out pics. How about we give it a week and see if anyone else chimes in and then try to post something a bit more organized. Thank you everyone. :) L

emilyam19

Post   » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:18 pm

Speaking of pictures...

Charlie’s droppings are now a little different (as of this morning). They’re no longer thin and stretched (some were not much thicker than pencil led). They’re a little clumpier than before. I don’t know if this is an improvement or a set back. I’d say it’s a similar texture –in terms of firmness.

wenton5

Post   » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:20 pm

Did you get the probiotic? :) L

emilyam19

Post   » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:42 pm

I have the acidophilus capsules and bio-sponge. I wasn't sure which to use. I don't think he's been sampling any of the girls droppings today so a probiotic would probably be a good idea.

wenton5

Post   » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:37 pm

I think as long as he is on meds he should have a probiotic, whichever works for him, I know sometimes it seems like it doesn't work but it will at least keep the gut flora fed. You didn't like the benebac? thx, L

emilyam19

Post   » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:44 pm

Charlie didn't like it. I ended up trying to syringe it in him and he got so upset he peed all over me (he tends to do that when he really doesn't like what I'm doing and forcefully pulling at my shirt isn't working).

I still have some though if you think that's the best choice.

wenton5

Post   » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:48 am

I think any nondairy probiotic that Charlie will put up with is good. It doesn't have to be benebac. :)

emilyam19

Post   » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:58 pm

I gave him half of an acidophilus capsule mixed with warm water and pureed peaches (the water alone wasn't absorbing the powder well).

Are there any tricks to mixing acidophilus powder with a liquid? Whenever I try it tends to just float on the top. It's like trying to get water to mix with oil. I know the easiest way to give it is by sprinkling it on veggies but Charlie won't eat them consistently. I could sit with him for hours trying to coax him into eating different favorites with probiotics on them and never succeed.

wenton5

Post   » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:16 pm

pig wrangler
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:00 pm

It is expected that pig poop will lighten in color as they are force fed critical care.

I am getting concerned now, because the poops are normally shaped (though a little small) but are completely tan with a slight orange tint.

My pig has pretty much stopped eating anything except the critical care now.

For those who have done long term syringe feeding, is this normal for the poop color?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:16 pm

(sorry I can't comment! I do recall pale poops for one of my pigs but don't remember the circumstances!)

gizzy

Post   » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:36 pm

Hi there, I couldn't tell you about critical care, as I mill my own powder from there every day food pellets,
(a lot cheaper, and not risking possible tummy discomfort/upset by changing feed)

But in my experience long-term syringe feed pigs Poos, pretty quickly take on the colour of the syringe paste,

Sometimes I will add juice from red pepper (C boost) and her Poo's quickly change accordingly

Though in some instances they tend to be slightly smaller than normal,

This is great thread, can't understand why it's hidden in general chat forum though, I would have thought such an important topic would have been put in the Medical Forum,

Has anybody thought to ask members from Australia about their pig Poo's??

Apparently as I understand it different feed protocols are recommended, and you don't seem to be able to get the variety dried food we do here in the UK, and in America,

How does it affect the poo??

wenton5

Post   » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:08 pm

Pig Wrangler, I can't seem to get my pics on here and out of photobucket but if you look at Mary M's picture you will notice that the color is different, this is because of long term Critical care type feeding. I agree with Gizzy on the color the change. Thanks

203 posts