Guinea pig sitting questions

CavyGirl04

Post   » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:47 pm

I will be "guinea pig sitting" for two boars over Christmas. I have two sows already. I know that they need to stay 100% separate at all times, but I"m wondering about some other stuff. For instance, should they be in the same room, where they'll be able to see/hear/smell each other, or should they stay in different rooms? Also, when I give them floor time, can I do it in the same area (at different times)? Basically, can they know about the other pigs, or should they stay in totally different areas?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:10 pm

They can know about the other pigs, and they can use the same floor time area.

The only issue you may have is if/when one or both of the sows are in heat. That may upset the boars a little. But maybe not.

CavyGirl04

Post   » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:47 am

Ok, thanks. The boars are both pretty mellow (I took care of them a few months ago, before I had my own piggies) so I doubt that they'll go crazy when the sows are in heat.

Kimera

Post   » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:51 am

I used to foster only boars, because I was unsure how they would react in the presence of sows. As it turned out, there was no need to worry, and currently I have six of my own boars and five foster sows. At the most the boars find the sows an entertainment and visit them once in a while. They usually only say hello through bars, and the more testosterone driven boars spend a little more time beside the female cages, "singing" and rumblestrutting. They never, ever turned aggressive because of females who were housed in separate cages.
Frankly speaking, I had once boars who were not aggressive towards each other even when visited by a spayed sow. They all were very polite.

CavyGirl04

Post   » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:08 pm

Two follow-up questions: First, at what age do sows start going into heat? Mine are around 5.5-6 months; do they go into heat at such a young age?
Also, could the boars make the sows more irritable or anything? The boars are the most well-paired pigs you'd imagine; never any squabbles, rumblestrutting, etc, but my girls don't get along super well (Lots of rumblestrutting from the dominant one, squealing/"arguments", etc. Could the girls be bothered by the boys? I don't want to disrupt what seems like a pretty fragile peace between them.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:00 pm

They go into heat around four weeks of age. The presence of the boars probably won't bother them.

I think you're overthinking this.

CavyGirl04

Post   » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:07 pm

Ok. I tend to be a bit nervous :) There will be another person watching all four of them for a couple days, so I want to make sure they won't go crazy for her, either (she doesn't know much about piggies).

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:45 pm

Tell her to keep them apart, always, and they'll be fine.

JX4

Post   » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:32 am

Yes, my only advice is to be 100% SURE the boys and the girls do not have any physical contact whatsoever, even through bars.

CavyGirl04

Post   » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:43 am

Yes, total separation is the most important thing! Their cages are a few inches apart and I don't see any way that anything could happen. The girl who's watching them for me is super responsible and I know she won't let anything happen, so I'm not too worried.

MariusMum

Post   » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:16 am

Make sure the cages have covers. How high can regular pigs jump?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:23 am

Ten inches or so.