Guinea pig sitting questions

WICharlie

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:59 pm

It's actually really easy once you measure it out. Remember, you are putting it on topically. That means you part the fur and just place the dose on the skin. Most people place it on the back of the neck. You should measure it out correctly, but if you end up giving a tiny bit more than called for, it will not hurt the pig. Also apply it 3 times, one week apart. So you can actually do all the doses within a two week period. For instance, if you get the ivermectin on a Tuesday, do the first dose right away. Then dose on the following Tuesday and again the Tuesday after that. If it's not cleared up by then, you can do a fourth dose as well.

I got my ivermectin from the local Farm & Fleet. See if you have a similar store nearby. Also, ask your local pharmacy for a syringe that has a removable needle. If you tell them what it is for, they will often just give it to you free of charge.

CavyGirl04

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:22 pm

I'm glad it's easier than it seems.
I don't think I have a store that would have ivermectin nearby. Anything here that says "feed store" is really just a chicken store (it's Los Angeles, a LOT of people have chickens) and wouldn't have ivermectin, most likely.
Thanks for the instructions on ivermectin dosing. I'll need to explain it to his owner and she'll be doing the last two treatments, so I want to make sure she understands.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:25 pm

Definitely easier than it seems. You'll be fine as long as you only apply a small amount -- the equivalent of a few drops. You could practice first with water if you want.

ETA - I was at the bottom at the last page and didn't see WICharlie had already responded.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:44 pm

That is funny about there being no feed store but yes on the chicken store (I have chickens).

By the way, I have used ivermectin to treat chickens with Northern Fowl Mites, so you might still give them a call.

CavyGirl04

Post   » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:22 pm

I have now treated Pan Pan with the ivermectin. Measuring it out went ok and everything; he weighs 1180 grams, so I gave him approximately .12 cc of the .5% solution. How long until I see results? It's killing me to see him itchy and in pain.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:37 pm

He may itch more today and tomorrow, but it should start to ease up after then. However, do at least three, and preferably four, treatments, each seven days apart, to hit all the life cycle of the mites.

CavyGirl04

Post   » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:17 pm

Yes, I am going to tell his owner to treat him for the next couple weeks (once per week, of course). I'm glad it'll stop the itching soon, at least. He is usually the calmest and friendliest of the piggies, but he was squirming a ton and won't even sit on our laps anymore, so I know he is experiencing discomfort.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:59 pm

All guinea pigs in the same home must be treated or they will reinfect Pan Pan.

CavyGirl04

Post   » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:27 pm

Yes, they're all treated now! I just started with him because he's the one that really needs it (none of the others have symptoms) and then took a break (I know treating him first won't really have a big impact, but I still wanted him to be first).

Thank you so much for all the help dealing with this! Hopefully there won't be any more issues with mites in this house!

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:16 pm

RE a hidey, can you put a bandanna or other piece of fabric in two corners far apart so they have somewhere to hide but not together?

CavyGirl04

Post   » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:29 pm

Thanks for the tip, Ravenshade. I gave the boys back already, but I suggested it to their owner.

Speaking of seeing them, Pan Pan looks much better. His skin is healing and there's no more itching. He's starting to get some fur back, too. Thank you to everyone who helped me figure this out (especially Lynx and Bpatters!).