Guinea Pig Anxiety

Kels3b

Post   » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:53 pm

So this might not be the place but I thought I might reach out! I’m a newish guinea pig Mom (had my boys for under a year) and I find that I constantly have anxiety about whether or not I’m taking good care of my guinea pigs or if they’re sick! I know logically that they’re eating well and happy healthy little boys but sometimes if even the slightest thing happens I freak out! I’ve been told they’re healthy and great but I was just wondering if there are any other guinea pig parents that feel this way and if there’s ways to make it stop so I’m not constantly at the vet freaking out about my pets!

I think I might love them too much!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:00 pm

I think the problem is your anxiety and the way you deal with it, not with the guinea pigs. I suspect that if you weren't freaking out about them, you'd be freaking out about something else. So that's where I'd encourage you to start working on the problem.

As far as the guinea pigs go, the best way to know whether they're ok or not is to know what's normal and what's not, what's serious and what's not, and where to take them when they need a vet and where not to. Start at the main page of this site (https://www.guinealynx.info/) and read the Care Guide and the Emergency links. Guinea Pig Cages website has a lot of information about cages and bedding.

The more you know, the more capable you'll be to determine what you really need to freak out about, and what you need to just chill over.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:59 am

Weigh them regularly. As weight lost could be the first sign of illness. I am like you and worry a lot. You could also just watch your pigs, get use to the habits, mannerisms etc and if something changes they may be sick. Not eating or picking food up and dropping it or dribbling I would be worried. Blood found anywhere I would be worried. If none of this for now I would just enjoy your piggies. Another is squeaking when peeing or pooping.

M1dn1ght

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:56 am

Kels3b -

I take medication for my anxiety. Yes, other cavy owners go through the same thing. I have two juvenile boars and I obsess over every little detail of their health and happiness. Ironically enough, they help me with my anxiety because when I have a problem and can't stop ruminating, watching them interact with each other puts me in calmer waters.

It's natural to feel anxious about their well-being because they can't talk to us and we read so many posts about how when they show symptoms of a problem, it's already pretty bad. I know it's hard not to let that get to you. I echo the advice of weighing them regularly and keeping a record of their weight and behavior too if you can. So much easier to have that stuff written down. When I have a pet at the vet, I'm usually too worked up to be able to explain things clearly and it's helpful to have my notebook there.

I'll tell you something I also learned recently. Boars are little miscreants. Especially when they are young. Mine rumblestrut at each other constantly. Sometimes it gets to the point where one is chasing the other around their enclosure, but they've never drawn blood and it doesn't last for long. It took observation over weeks to get me to the point where I barely glance up anymore when they start in on their shenanigans. It might just take some time on your part to be comfortable with their behavior.

Take heart! You aren't alone. We love our piggies and we sometimes agonize over the little things. Try to do something productive with that energy and they will be just fine!