Carpet Peeing

kailaeve1271

Post   » Thu May 03, 2018 2:49 pm

My room, which the guinea pigs are limited to, is carpeted. During floor time I lay down as much fleece liners as I have. I still have much of my room uncovered. I’m not allowed to use towels to cover up the rest either.
Whenever they have floor time they tend to have a lot of accidents. Poops aren’t an issue. It’s the pee. Our carpets are fairly new. How do I keep the carpets from getting ruined/how do I prevent my pigs from peeing on them so much?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu May 03, 2018 2:55 pm

Got an old blanket? That's what I used to use.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu May 03, 2018 3:11 pm

How about a light weight waterproof outdoor table cloth underneath some fleece? You want a barrier that would prevent liquids from going through.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Thu May 03, 2018 4:18 pm

I never would have thought of that! Thank you! I’ll have to try to find some

Svh

Post   » Thu May 03, 2018 5:33 pm

I definitely second the table cloth idea. I have a few cheap plastic ones from the dollar store that I lay down to protect the carpet. Put some old blankets or fleece on top of that and you are ready to go!

kailaeve1271

Post   » Thu May 03, 2018 6:10 pm

I don’t have extra fleece liners but the dollar store nearby has fleece blankets and picnic table covers! I’m goimg to get some tomorrow hopefully

madkatherine

Post   » Fri May 04, 2018 2:32 pm

Some people manage to litter train their piggies. But I believe "accidents" happen anyway.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Fri May 04, 2018 2:46 pm

My guinea pigs are so called “Litter trained” it’s not actually trained. They tend to go more in corners so you place litter boxes there and they use it the most (but still will poop a lot elsewhere). This is in their cage. All corners in my room are covered by a bed, desk, cage, etc. and when one of my pigs get nervous she literally runs and pees/poops non stop like a machine. So if my dog even barks on the other side of the door then there is suddenly a mess. So litter boxes aren’t going to work in this situation. Good idea though :)

WICharlie

Post   » Sat May 05, 2018 1:28 pm

I've never known anyone able to litter train their guinea pigs.

And old shower curtain would work also.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat May 05, 2018 2:45 pm

Ditto WICharlie on potty training. IF you've got cooperative pigs, they may leave most of their output in a place of their choosing. If not, they won't, and there's not much to be done about it.