e coli

joannes1

Post   » Fri May 04, 2018 9:45 am

hi, recently theres been a really bad e coli outbreak on lettuce and I am just weary of buying any lettuce at all.. Is there anything else I could use as a daily main vegetable instead of lettuce? thank you

kailaeve1271

Post   » Fri May 04, 2018 10:04 am

The E. coli outbreak has been mainly in Romaine Lettuce only or in bagged/pre cut lettuce. I believe most fresh Leaf lettuces heads from the produce section are safe. Check in your area to make sure since it varies everywhere.

If you find that it is all lettuce, look at the Guinea Lynx Vegetable Chart it shows a variety leafy greens that Guinea Pigs can eat, but some may have to be rotated.
https://www.guinealynx.info/chart.html

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri May 04, 2018 10:27 am

The recent outbreak has been on romaine. I'm continuing to feed red and green leaf lettuces with no problems at all.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri May 04, 2018 12:20 pm

The E. Coli Romaine has also all been from the Yuma, AZ area according to the news.

I'm still feeding my pigs red or green leaf lettuce, and I'm careful to rinse it well. (And yes, one of the cats steals as I'm rinsing it. I've heard of pigs stealing from pigs, but Pepper (cat) insists on stealing it from the pigs as well.)

DonkeyBrainz

Post   » Sat May 12, 2018 3:30 pm

One of my cats is a lettuce thief too! The other 3 don't care but Tao loves to take the lettuce from them even tho she knows she won't eat it. She just likes to lick the water off! lol

And I'm still feeding fresh red or green leaf as well. I feel like they are better choices than Romaine anyway, because they have a lower calcium content.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat May 12, 2018 3:37 pm

Romaine has the same calcium content as red or green leaf lettuce. There's just something about it, and cilantro, that causes excess urinary calcium in some pigs, but not in others.