Sudden wet face during introduction (boars)

Gessika

Post   » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:13 pm

Is it common for a pig to get a wet face/chin during an intro? There was a lot of strutting and chattering and chasing, it's possible that he ended up "playing" with the water bottle, but he's never done it before.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:55 pm

I've never heard of it happening.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:55 am

How wet? Is it possible he got peed in the face? I know that happens with sows - not sure if boars do the same thing.

CavyDad
Supporter in 2018

Post   » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:50 pm

I've had it happen once during boar intros and if I remember right, it was on the head. The other boar took an instant dislike to mine, and the next thing I knew my boy was wet and and looked a little stunned. The rescue it happened at called it "spraying," and I don't know if it's urine or something else. I haven't seen it happen during any other boar introductions so I don't know if it's common or not.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:33 pm

Sows spray a LOT. I had to extend the coroplast way up the back wall of my cage to keep the paint on the wall from getting stained.

Gessika

Post   » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:45 pm

*Very* wet face and chin as if he been drooling a lot or was playing with a water bottle, his nose also was wet like it had been runny. No color or odors of any kind and he cleaned himself up and is normal today.

He and the other pig have been separated. After 45 minutes of relative success in a neutral area, once they moved to the cage, he was *constantly* chasing, chattering, yawning, side stepping, and very occasionally lunging at the other pig for about 30 minutes. He's only 8 months, I'm going to take the advice to wait until he's a year old before trying to find him a buddy again. (He outright attacked another pig during a different intro several months ago).

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:53 am

Some sows spray a lot. They can spray up to 7 feet easily. It means "back off!!" and it usually works, lol. I too have Plexi up to 7 inches high on the cage wall, as I used to find pee all over the place. It is pee, by the way, you can smell that when you clean it up.