Cage Liners

kailaeve1271

Post   » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:43 am

So I have made a cageliner in the past for under $20 with extra matress pads lying around and fleece that was on sale. I need more now that I've changed their cage to a new size. Now I have to start from scratch. The price for fleece I need alone? about $60-70 for 6 yards... Not including the absorbant material or the cost of new thread and new sowing needles and I was hoping for a little extra to make a cozy cube. Is there anywhere anyone has shopped for fleece for cheeper? The whole point of this project was to make a healthy bedding and NOT spend a fortune. I'm willing to pay that much for my pigs, but I'd rather save a little and have more money for any emergencies that may pop up for them (or even more for food. As I've said before veggies here are outragous and I spend $20-30 per bag of 4 pounds of pellets)

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:07 am

That's an outrageous price for pellets, whether you're talking about the kind you use for bedding or the kind the pigs eat.

Bedding pellets cost me $6-8 per 40 pound bag. I order 25 pounds of pellets at a time from KMS Hayloft, and even with shipping, the cost works out to about $2.35 or $2.40 per pound.

You can order fleece online for much less than $10+ per yard. The cheap fleece blankets from Walmart/Target/Walgreens are about $3 each, and work just fine.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:21 am

I use Sherwood because Oxbow wasn't working out and KM's seemed to give them terrible calcium deposits. It's about $18 plus shipping which varies from $4-8 depending on where I order it and where it's available. The bedding I use in litterboxes (less mess and smell) are about $10, but I rarely need to order any. I'll try looking at Target, but we don't have any Walgreens nearby and last I was at walmart they didn't have enough. It was about 2-4 yards on each thing and when I asked when they would get more in I got an attitude and gave up. I'll try CVS too maybe they have some

WICharlie

Post   » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:06 am

Go to your local Goodwill or Salvation Army thrift store to buy cheap fleece. You can also often find cotton sheets there that can be used to sew cage blankets.

Use wood stove pellets in their kitchen areas. Very cheap and super absorbent.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:08 am

Walmart is good that way! :o( I usually go through Jo~Ann for my fleece and it costs $3-4 per yard,depending on sale price. Absorbant bedding I bought through Amazon and it was $40 for 12 blankets 72X54 here: https://smile.amazon.com/Cheap-Moving-Boxes-Blankets-Txt10103/dp/B01I5JINT2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1530885808&sr=8-4&keywords=packing+blankets+for+moving (it says boxes but it's really the blankets).

Hope this helps.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:49 am

We do have a Goodwil so I'll check there too :)

Jo-ann's and Hobby lobby are our only fabric stores here. Hobby Lobby $9.99 Jo-ann's $11.99. No joke. They don't even have coupons I checked because that price in my opinion is wayy too much. When I was able to get mine on sale it was $4 but I just find any decently priced ones anymore.

I will definetly have a look at the moving blankets!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:30 am

Joann Fabric is having an on-line sale on pre-cut pieces of fleece. The fabric is 58” by 3 yards. Lowest price for solid colors is $9.44. You might want to check it out at https://www.joann.com/shopping/.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:57 am

Sales are good! I recall getting a whole bunch of fleece years back (actually some is unused) for very little.