Oxbow Pellets

samim21

Post   » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:54 am

Hi y'all,

Just wondering if anyone has a good alternative to Oxbow pellets? My older pig, Philly, has some white powdery deposits in her urine (I think it's normal as it is powdery, not gritty, so I don't think it's sludge or anything) and she mostly eats green or red leaf lettuce, carrots and I've been attempting to give her zucchini and red bell pepper (work in progress; she's very picky). So I don't think she's getting too much calcium from her veggies, but maybe her pellets? She gets about 2 tablespoons of oxbow pellets per day.

I heard the oxbow pellets can be a little high in calcium, so I was wondering if anyone had good alternatives.

She's fine otherwise, but the less excess calcium the better I would think.

JX4

Post   » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:05 pm

KMS pellets are AWESOME. You can order them online from

https://kmshayloft.com/

KMS also ships quality hay.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:53 pm

Oxbow has lowered the calcium content of their pellets, and the calcium comes from a different source.

I doubt she's getting too much calcium. Most pigs will leave some calcium deposits, and there's not a lot to be done about it except keep calcium intake to a low level.

Nothing in what you're feeding her, except the pellets, has any vitamin C in it. Unless you're going to greatly increase her intake of C-rich veggies (1/4 of an average green pepper, 1/5-1/6 of a red one, I wouldn't cut the pellets out.

samim21

Post   » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:42 pm

Ok. Like I've said before, we're working on the red pepper. Maybe I'll cut back on the pellets if/when she comes around to the peppers.

I really want to avoid bladder stones, is pretty much the bottom line. Really want to avoid that experience again :(

I'll keep her on the Oxbow for now, then! And thank you JX4 for the link! I might try their timothy hay out!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:54 pm

I take it you are currently using a timothy pellet?

samim21

Post   » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:16 pm

Lynx Yup. It's this kind: https://www.chewy.com/oxbow-essentials- ... EAQAvD_BwE

I've read mixed things about it. some people seem to love these pellets and some hate em.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:33 pm

Oxbow used to use calcium carbonate (limestone) for the calcium source in the pellets. It was strongly anecdotally linked to bladder stones, but about a year ago they changed the formula.

I think they're perfectly good pellets. I prefer KMS Hayloft, because they mill a batch of pellets every few weeks, so they're very fresh when you get them. But I'd be fine with feeding Oxbow if I couldn't get KMS.