Treasure Hunt or Teasing

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:02 am

I am looking for opinions on whether I am providing a treasure hunt and excercise for my guinea pig, or whether I am teasing with food.

I provide a whiffle ball filled with chopped green pepper for my guinea pig so she has something to do. She rolls the ball around with her nose and the food falls out. I figure it’s like a treasure hunt. She gets a little exercise, some mental stimulation and she doesn’t get bored. She has other veggies and lots of hay as well so this isn’t her only food source. I refill the wiffle ball a few times a day.

My husband feels sorry for her. He thinks I’m being mean and teasing her with food.

What do you think? Is my guinea pig on a treasure hunt or being teased?

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:30 am

i do this, plus put treats in cardboard tubes that they have to pry open to get to the treat. I figure it's good to apply themselves to a puzzle!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:20 am

I think you have to figure out a way to make your husband work for his treats.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:15 am

HAHAHA!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:51 pm

What a great idea Lynx! I’ve spent the morning hiding candy bars and cookies all over the house. This way, he will burn off the calories before he eats them!

BZoo

Post   » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:01 pm

Cool idea, gonna have to find a wiffle ball.

rjespicer

Post   » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:12 pm

I think pigjes had something about using kitty treat balls/eggs in one of her videos.

We strung a bunch of veggies on a string across teh pen one time, they seemed to have fun pulling stuff of of that.

I know my Brother and his wife do "Find its" for their dog, making him sit still while they hide treats around teh room, house and then when they are done they tell him to "go find it", but hadn't considered doing it for the piggies. It might work if it wasn't for teh fact they follow me around anyway so will probably just scoff the treats as soon as I hide them.

The wiffle ball sounds like a good idea though.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:17 am

The Dollar Tree had wiffle balls in packs of two. They don’t come apart though, so I have to cut up the veggies and drop the pieces in through the holes. I also have a kitty treat ball shaped like an egg with adjustable openings. I put pellets in that and it can be opened up to fill.