Anyone Ordered from KMS Lately?

JJGiebz
Make Good Choices

Post   » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:32 pm

I think they jacked up the Amazon price to cover the shipping. When they were having issues with the pellet supply (and everything else) in September/October I ordered from Amazon and from their website and just prayed one would show up. After adding shipping on their website prices it came out to almost even.

The pellets I eventually received look different though. Smaller than their usual giant pellets, more like oxbow. And I'm nearly convinced (based on nothing but timing) that the bag of food my guys ate in May caused their digestive issues and the gurgling (ongoing - started them on bio sponge today as a last resort).

I'm not really sure what to do because as others have mentioned here I am afraid to give them any other pellets because of their cystitis and calcium issues, but on the other hand I really don't trust the label on these. Who knows what is really in them? Maybe Martha Stewart or Rachel Ray will get into the guinea pig game...

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:08 pm

I wonder if the fires have affected the price. KMS has always pretty much mowed down the hay and made the pellets immediately. Maybe there's not as much hay this year.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:14 pm

The new bag of KMS that I got last week was the opposite: larger pellets than usual, and lighter in color. I, too, think they may have triggered stomach upset in at least one of our guys. It could have been a coincidence but it was the only thing that had changed in his diet.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:44 pm

I'll be cracking a new bag of pellets in a couple of weeks and will watch for changes.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:53 am

Cost change may also have to do with perhaps having to get the ingredients for the pellets from other sources.

One also has to trust that the mill is using the formulation specified by them. They do not own or operate a mill. They contract with a mill.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:15 am

Yes, and that's why I'm a little concerned that the quality is where it has always been. Lack of responsiveness from KMS's current owners doesn't help.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:00 pm

I'm conflicted. I'm debating ordering another bag of KMS pellets just to see my senior with stomach issues tolerates them better, OR just switch to Oxbow--realizing that it could make his GI troubles even worse.

I emailed KMS this morning to see if they would have anything to say about the new batch, but I haven't heard anything so far. :\

JJGiebz
Make Good Choices

Post   » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:46 am

I emailed them in May/June asking essentially the same thing and they never responded. I absolutely get your confliction.

I carried on, just hoping the content is as advertised and the calcium level is accurate and therefore worth it, but I've been seeing a lot more grit and renewed bleeding. They have made themselves easy to blame by sending inconsistent product and not answering their mail. They even posted on Facebook in the past few months congratulating themselves on having an empty inbox, yet here I sit.

The two bags I received after ordering from both their website and Amazon in September were both milled on 15 July. It hasn't seemed to exacerbate the GI issues which began around the milled-in-March bag. It sounds like your guy's episode was worse than what we were dealing with here, though. I did finally get my hands on some bio sponge gel a few days ago and - knock wood - it seems to have done the trick.

I realize this is probably not helpful to your internal deliberations at all, just here to say I feel your pain and you're not alone :)

Piggster

Post   » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:03 pm

I just opened up my bag of pellets and mine are also a much lighter colored pellet. But what really has me concerned is the smell. They don't smell anything like they used to. My two are eating them but hopefully cystitis doesn't rear its ugly head.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:06 pm

Yeah, there's something 'off' about them. KMS still hasn't responded to my email. Meanwhile, my senior guy is still dealing with GI issues that I think were triggered by whatever they've done to their formula. I think I'm officially 'done' with KMS Hayloft. We have had a history of pigs with stones, and I'm not too thrilled with having to switch back to Oxbow, but I really don't think these new owners care about quality or customer service.

Lisa12

Post   » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:35 am

Hey, Sef!
Irie and I are keeping paws crossed for your Harold!

I dont know that much about food but IRie have this pellets(?) https://www.zoohit.si/shop/male_zivali/ ... aga/238070
He likes it and its written 0,8% calcium and I notice when he ates oxbow pellets he has white urine-i only gave him sometimes..(calcium deposit ?)..when he ates Cavia Complete his urine is clear as water(bit more yellow of course:))...
If this food is available for you...

SardonicSmile

Post   » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:20 am

Mine also get the Versele-Laga Complete, but also Supreme Science Selective Grainfree, I mix the two.

Both of these are grainfree, though the supreme does contain the “wrong” calcium type it does only have a .6% calcium. Not sure about the calcium type in the Versele-Laga.