Warmer for Guinea Pigs

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:56 pm

Back with another product opinion question this evening. After our senior pig, Harold, had another bad bloat/GI episode this week, I have decided to try something to see if it will help. I'd like to try increasing the temp around his cage at night, since his body temperature always seems to drop over night and that seems to be when the bouts typically occur.

I have looked at pet heating pads to slip under his Midwest Habitat cage, but leaving something like that on, unsupervised, for hours doesn't seem like a good idea. I saw this and thought it looked interesting, but then there were a few reviews that made me worry that it might not be entirely safe, either:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CLA19FW/ref=emc_b_5_t

I was also looking at infrared heat lamps that don't emit light, like these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071GKDXBL/re ... ljaz10cnVl

Are there any other solutions that might work better?

My thought was that I'd like to warm his entire cage and not just his bed, so that he doesn't just lie in one spot to stay warm all night.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:46 pm

I used a similar ceramic heat lamp for my skinnies back in the day. Worth a try.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:12 am

(I moved my post above from General Chat to Cavy Chat)

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:04 am

Pads are routinely used for snakes and other cold-blooded animals. if you put one under the cage, he shouldn't be able to gnaw it, and it would be safe.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:05 am

This is pricey but looks interesting:
https://www.chewy.com/cozy-products-coz ... /dp/183572

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:55 pm

I ended up getting the Cozy Pet Warmer panel for Harold:

It doesn't warm the entire cage like I had hoped, but it does a very good job of keeping the area where he sleeps nice and warm. I was particularly glad to have it last night when we got home from the vet and he was still recovering from the effects of sedation and sub-q fluids.

It does not get overly hot, and has a "full heat" and a "half heat" setting. It is very close to the same height and length as the side of his Midwest Habitat cage, just slightly smaller, so it's the perfect size. I didn't measure it before I ordered, and was a little afraid it was going to be big and clunky.

I'd be comfortable recommending it to anyone who has a recovering pet---or even one with arthritis that needs some gentle warmth at night.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:09 am

That warmer looks like it should work well, especially after just coming home from the vet and needing a little rest and TLC.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:24 am

I like that it looks much safer than the bulb type heaters. Hope it helps him!

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:23 pm

I hope it really helps him.

Tofu

Post   » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:30 am

I've left this under the top layer of fleece in my cavy condo for the last couple of months for my elderly girl, it gets warm but not hot (max temp of 104F I think?) and the last foot or so of cord that connects to the warmer is armored so it can't be chewed. My pigs seem to really like it especially now that is has gotten cold out: https://www.chewy.com/kh-pet-products-t ... /dp/190738

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:33 pm

I discovered that the room my boars are now in gets cold, so I have a small space heater in there now, but I only use it when I am home. Do you leave your heaters on 24/7?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:02 pm

I think there are some heaters that are fairly safe. I think they are oil filled and give a gentle heat? If you choose to leave your heater on all the time, have Mr. RS make sure it is on a sound circuit that is not overloaded/challenged in any way. You can also opt to just keep a constant lower temp (it will gradually warm up thoroughly). Perhaps 600-800 watts.