Bathing questions.

M1dn1ght

Post   » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:01 am

I have two boars that I have never bathed. They are both about 2.5 years old and have always looked great, never had any skin problems.

BUT

I live in a high-altitude and very dry climate, and it's the dead of winter here. My own skin is flaky and dry. I've noticed a little dandruff in their fur, and I was starting to look at ways to help keep their skin from drying out too much. I tried looking for some dietary remedies and didn't find much beyond the Oxbow Skin and Coat Support cookies, which are in my Chewy cart right now. I went on to looking at advice about bathing.

I know they don't need regular bathing, but they've never had a bath, so I thought maybe it would benefit them. I came across this video on YouTube:

I was shocked. This guy works at a GP shelter and has a whole line of videos about GP care. He uses dollar store dandruff shampoo AND fancy-smelling store-bought shampoo - all formulated for humans. This goes directly against everything I've ever read about bathing guinea pigs. What the heck?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:12 pm

Yeah, ignore that.

Bathing won't help dry skin. I believe Gorgeous Guineas has some products that might help. I've never used their stuff, but an awful lot of people swear by the.

Have you considered a humidifier?

M1dn1ght

Post   » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:34 pm

Oh yes. I already run a humidifier literally adjacent to their enclosure full time. I'm convinced it's the dry air causing it. We haven't had anywhere near the level of moisture we typically do in the winter and it's a dry climate anyway.

Another reason I suspect the dry air is that my one boar has chronic breathing issues, so I have him on regular nebulizer treatments with saline. His fur has less dandruff in it than the other boar. I'll look into Gorgeous Guineas and see what I can find. Thanks for the tip!