Hey! It’s bee way too long! Questions

Cielo

Post   » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:18 pm

I haven’t been involved with gps since 2011?! Some like that. Miss you all!

I got organic spring mix leafy greens. I believe it is ok to feed. Can someone confirm, please?

Do we still prefer Oxbow? I remember an issue when they went more comercial.

I got microfiber pads to put under the fleece. Apparently skinny pigs drink/eat a lot and the waste is at least double. Someone is using that?

TIA ☺️

Can’t attach pics, cause I don’t remember how to navigate the page 😅🤣

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:04 pm

Long time no see!

There is no attachment feature (you need to host pics elsewhere and link to them - like fliker). The greens should be fine, Oxbow too. The plain pellets with alfalfa for young guinea pigs and the timothy based ones for older guinea pigs. I think the microfiber pads under fleece should be okay. With skinny pigs, you need to make sure the room is warm enough for them.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:11 pm

How many new pigs do you have? I take it they're skinnies?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:06 pm

On the spring mix, be aware that many brands include spinach, which is very high in calcium.

Cielo

Post   » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:07 pm

I have one boar. I
Not sure of age, but is young. Looking for a partner. They are hard to come by in adoption. I would definitely like another skinny.

Calcium is good for young ones as far as I remember, but I’ll keep an eye on that.

Vitamin C question. Should I do chewable? If so, how much? Always thought, in the back of my mind, that my previous ones didn’t get enough vitamin C. Again, I am trying to do a search and the things I remember, nothing clear pops up.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:22 pm

A good quality fortified pellet (such as Oxbow or KMS Hayloft) and variety of fresh veggies containing vitamin C should be sufficient so that additional supplementation isn't necessary. You might find helpful info here:
https://www.guinealynx.info/diet.html

RomeAndSmores1

Post   » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:06 pm

as far as hay is concerned i ONLY buy oxbow anymore. i find it has the absolute best price per pound on amazon, and they ship it in boxes of fifty pounds or so. extremely useful, and fifty pounds lasts my two pigs almost an entire year, if not eight or nine months at least.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:43 pm

I buy mostly Oxbow, but in the 40 oz bags. I did get a large quantity one time and the stalks were more like straw, so even though it was a good price, there was a lot of waste. It seems the smaller bags are more leafy. I also buy Kaytee timothy in the small bags at Menards. I sort through and find the greenest ones, and use that more as a snack. Lacey likes it just because it's different. The hay strands are shorter that Oxbow, but there are more of the fuzzy seed heads.

I give a daily Oxbow Natural Science Vitamin C wafer which Lacey absolutely loves.