Diablo's Medical Thread

JaneDoe

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:40 pm

Yay!

Diablo is in good hands w/Dr. Crum.

Does he like the peppers? Mine do, but I have heard they cause gas in some piggies.

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:51 am

Yes, he loves his bell peppers! All of my pigs like them.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:35 pm

" ... but I have heard they cause gas in some piggies."

In our experience, especially the colored ones, and especially in older pigs.

You can be a little more generous with the green ones.

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:52 pm

I have notice yet another problem with the little guy. While her was out for floor time, my dad noticed that he almost always turns to the left. He also doesn't bear much weight on his front left leg. I'm guessing he either broke his leg at one point, or has arthritis. I'm really hoping it's the latter, because I already have a boar with arthritis (ironically also in the front left leg!). It seems like it's and old injury, since touching the leg doesn't seem to hurt him, so will it be okay if I don't take him in right away for it? It would be much easier (and cheaper) if I did the leg x-ray at the same time as the tooth x-ray.

Anyone have ideas about something else it could be?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:42 pm

Could be a soft tissue injury -- something that will clear up when it heals.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:09 am

Poor Diablo!

When is his tooth appointment?

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:43 pm

It hasn't been scheduled yet, as we are waiting for him to get back up to 800 G, so that we can have any nessecary tooth operations done at the same time.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:25 pm

How much is he now? Is he gaining?

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:59 pm

Right now he is 1lb 15oz. I think I'll schedule the appointment once he has reached 2 lb.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:01 am

Go, Diablo!

You know his "sister" and her mate are pulling for him.

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:36 am

The more I research, the more I think he has TMJ. His mouth hangs slightly open all the time, and since he is 3-4 years old, that akes it more likely. I have a feeling he'd be in worse shape if he had had malocclusion for his entire life. I'll calll the vet today about an appointment.

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:00 pm

Back from the vet's. Dr. Crum suspects that Diablo has an inner ear infection, that may be causing all his weirdness. So far he's got an eye that won't blink, a crooked mouth and always turns to the right. He is on 0.1 CC of Meloxicam twice a day, and 0.4 CC of Baytril once a day. He really hates the Baytril, so I tried mixing it with critical care, then he loved it!
For his right (non-blinking) eye, the vet gave me some ointments to put into his eye twice a day to keep it moist.

Despite his issuses, I think he is doing really well. He is now 880G, up 120G from the last visit! I think that he will be a chubby pig in no time.