Heart pig? and stupid e-vet

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:24 pm

The jury's out for me. I hear normal burring but inbetween there are a couple hoo hoos that I can't tell if it is just part of the burring. In my experience, the hoo hooing is done at rest and not when they are making other noises. If I had to pick, I'd say it is okay but you should just listen for other stuff at rest maybe.

Kermie831

Post   » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:40 pm

He's been doing it more, and at rest. Got ahold of my vet.. We are going to do a trial of lotensin and lasix. Here is how wonderful my vet is... he was leaving this afternoon for a vet conference in the town I live in, so I was just going to drive the hour there and hour back. Well if you read general chat you will find my apt building caught fire this am and we had to evacuate. I called the vet to tell him I was not going to be able to come in the time he was there, since he was leaving soon and I was still unpacking the pigs out of the laundry baskets. His son is picking up the meds from the office, taking them home to his dad (the vet) and he will bring them to me tonight... at no charge. I just have to being Oreo to have him check it out. I could just cry.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:19 pm

I would probably hold off on lasix until an xray confirmed fluid in the lungs. Anyone else's thoughts?

Kermie831

Post   » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:27 pm

That might be a good idea, but he does sound horribly course.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:29 pm

Are you sure it's not a URI?

Kermie831

Post   » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:35 pm

Eating/voiding/pooping fine, good appetite - just hoots after exertion and a little later at night and in the am. He is not wheezy, just hoots and is course. No coughing (except in the ams), sneezing, crusty eyes or discharge. Our vet saw him for his last post-op check about a month ago, and when I called him today he said he was more than likely a heart pig. He is very laid back and sleeps with his eyes closed... often falls asleep on my lap. He also has a pea eye.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:11 pm

I don't like to give lasix without seeing fluid in the lungs on xray.

Kermie831

Post   » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:42 pm

Ok, I shall talk to the vet tomorrow (when I pick up the meds) and see where we can get a x-ray (since most of the local vets will be at the conference!)

pinta

Post   » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:07 pm

I also prefer to confirm there is fluid in the lungs before giving Lasix but in this case, since your vet is okaying it, a moderate dose for a few days may be fine just to see if there is a difference.

Email Josephine to get her input. She is the heart drug guru.

Kermie831

Post   » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:38 am

I am holding the lasix for now as he is not actively having crackles. (at work we judge the need for lasix by auscultation, not by x-ray, so that would be why I made my judgement call ;)).

Oreo was wonderfully easy to medicate this am. I can not tell you how wonderful I feel knowing he is feeling better. He has been running around chattering at the other pigs, starting arguements and he has been PLAYING in a towel. A huge appetite! He is back to his rambunctious self :).

Thank you so much for all your help!

Love, Kristin and Oreo

P.S. Although trying to 1/8th a pill... kinda made my eyes want to bleed ;)