Misadventures of Max (and others)

Barbara Osborn
Supporter from '05 - '12

Post   » Sun May 27, 2007 9:07 am

Happy birthday from the nut house!

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:09 pm

I found a pea-sized lump on Gopher in January and carted him off to the vet. This week I had the lump (which had grown considerably but still wasn't enormous) removed. Gopher is currently sporting a shaved back and a large (probably 2") scar on his back. He's feeling better. I know because he won't look at me and hides, even though for the past several days I've given him drugs.

It was "one of those days" when I gave him the final dose. I had some pre-filled syringes in a baggie. I took one down to him, hauled him out of his pen, poked it in his mouth, put him back and went upstairs when I realized I'd given him nothing...the last filled syringe was still upstairs. So rinse and repeat, much to Gopher's dismay.

I am brilliant, I am.

I also gave Neal a bath the other night, with skin treatment (he's an abby and he's dry), much to HIS dismay, but he's no more or less disgruntled than he usually is. And he smells much better.

I was thinking of the baby pictures and how these little guys (not Neal) used to fit in the palm of my hand. Ha and more ha. I had Red and Gus on my lap last night. Gus has a huge rear end, and I don't think it's just that his hair makes him look fat. Since he wouldn't face me, that was pretty much my view most of the night.

Red started out on the other side of my leg, with Gus laying in the dent in the towel in the middle of my lap. Then he slowly but surely took over the dent, leaving Gus standing on my other leg wondering what just happened. Meanwhile, Red racked out, blissful, even when Gus tried to (unsuccessfully) wedge his way into the same spot. Ah, brotherly love.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:21 am

Gus has a great butt.

Was Neal ever little, other than when he was a zygote?

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:05 am

*sighs*
Yes indeed, what brotherly love, vying for the best spot.

RS, Mojo too has a history of dry skin.
I find Epi-soothe and Nizoral work wonders on him. :)

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:45 am

"I find Epi-soothe and Nizoral work wonders on him. :) "

Where do you find it?

Jane, I don't know if he was ever tiny. He was a good sized pig at 6 months old when I got him and has been big ever since.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:16 am

Epi-soothe from the vet and Nizoral from the drugstore.

JaneDoe

Post   » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:37 am

Nizoral is an anti-fungal. It used to be prescription-only (my dermatologist told me some dandruff is a fungal thing)

I think they also make a cream rinse. Works for me.

rshevin

Post   » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:44 pm

You can also get epi-soothe online. Malaseb (also vet or online) has a good reputation as well.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:29 pm

I have always used Epi-soothe on them, it did help Mojo's dry skin tremendously, and his hair was smooth and soft to the touch. But his skin would still dry out about a month after the bath.

Then I started using Nizorol with Kathy's suggestion, and Mojo skin is still silky soft sine his last bath at the end May. :)

JaneDoe

Post   » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:14 pm

Do you put conditioner on him?

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:47 pm

Epi-soothe is a soap-free shampoo, you can get it from your vet or online without prescriptions.
It does a wonderful job for dry skin, but its moisturizing effect slowly wears off in about 6-8 weeks.

Humilac is the "conditioner" by the same manufacturer, I usually follow up the bath with a very light spray and brush and dry.

I have tried Nizoral for the first time about 6 weeks ago, and you can see Mojo is still have soft and silky hair and skin.
Nizoral is now my favorite, it has such a nice light aroma, and gives us the softest hair and skin I have ever seen on my pigs, especially on Mojo and McMac. It is also widely available in all drugstores in the human shampoo section, about $8 for a small bottle.

amptondooz

Post   » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:50 pm

You work that hair, Mojo!