Corn husks...

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Sun May 25, 2008 9:19 am

DaCourt, that is why I always have limited my piggies' husks. I always have in the back in my mind how much they spray the corn with pesticides and it scares me to give them more than a little bit per pig. I only give mine the inner softer leaves near the corn in hopes that it is "safer". I worry that because their bodies are so small that it would not take much to make them sick, or do something worse. Food spraying is based on humans, not small animals.

EllieMom

Post   » Sun May 25, 2008 12:22 pm

I still haven't found the nutritional content of corn husks. But I did find some other interesting, and maybe pertinent, info on corn husks and corn silk:

Corn husk tea is a folk remedy for urinary tract infections.

Corn silk is also used as a remedy for urinary tract infections and kidney stones: "Corn Silk - The silky tassel inside the corn husk is highly valued in herbology as a support to the urinary system. It contains silicon, B vitamins, PABA and moderate amounts of iron, zinc, potassium, calcium, magnesium and phosphorus. Its key constituents are maizenic acid, fixed oil, resin and mucilage. Cornsilk is very popular in Chinese herbology." (From the "Nature's Sunshine Herbal Remedies" site.)

Duchess8799

Post   » Sun May 25, 2008 2:03 pm

I think my girls would revolt if they didn't get the husks and silks. I tend to give a small pile, both because the pigs seem to love it and because I'm trying not to overflow my trashcan. I got 5 ears all for little old me (Boston people: they have blueberries, $1 per box and lettuce, 3 heads/packages for $1 at the Haymarket!), so I figure that if I eat one ear per day, they can have a few pieces as treats and I don't have to change my trash bags as often.

And Aertyn, do you happen to have a Calico-Colored Guinea Pig? ;)

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Sun May 25, 2008 5:25 pm

Thank you for posting that EllieMom. I'm sure if a better breakdown more precise could be found you'll find it ;)

Purplepeep

Post   » Mon May 26, 2008 12:25 am

My boys got their first husks tonight. They loved them but the silk was an even bigger hit with them.

Charybdis

Post   » Mon May 26, 2008 1:10 am

corn silk is good for bladder function.

AsianRaider

Post   » Mon May 26, 2008 2:29 pm

That is so cool! I didn't even know that guineas eat the corn husk. Is it good for them or is it a treat that you should give sparingly?

DaCourt

Post   » Mon May 26, 2008 3:11 pm

Read back through this thread and you will have your answer.

somechick

Post   » Mon May 26, 2008 4:59 pm

I just bought some corn on the cob today, I'll have to see how my pigs like the husks. Stupid question - I should wash the husks right? Just like any other veggie?

ryanr

Post   » Mon May 26, 2008 5:15 pm

Yes, plus to make sure there aren't any chemicals left on the husks. Another good thing is to let them soak in vinager for a short time to clean them off even more then rinse with water.

mmercedesmom
Supporter in '09

Post   » Mon May 26, 2008 6:25 pm

Another corn husk question?

Is it OK for the piggies to eat if the husks and silk have been cooked?

I like to grill corn in the husk, keeps it crisp and not soggy. The outer parts I would take off to throw away are scorched anyway, but the silk and inner husks basically keep the moisture in so the corn steams in it's own "holder". Like they do at the fairs and carnivals.

rshevin

Post   » Mon May 26, 2008 6:27 pm

I know what you're talking about. One of my grandmother's cooks corn that way in the microwave too. I would not feed cooked husks. I don't have a specific reason why other than that we don't feed them cooked anything else.